fiberglass installation

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
millerfrank

fiberglass installation

Post by millerfrank »

Will I be able to glass and epoxy the canoe without help? I am about to begin installing the strips on my Bob's Special. Have not had help so far.
willo

Post by willo »

Yes you can , I have done it alone more often then with help. You will be busy , and I sugest you read Ted Moores instructions in CanoeCraft very carefully and several times. Having a mixer makes a big difference though. But if your like me I want to mix so I know it is right , and i want my hand on the squegee.
Friesen 5

Post by Friesen 5 »

Another valuable resource online is http://tinyurl.com/4vpdza . I found the section Fibreglassing 101 to be very helpful.

Mervin Friesen
Prospector 16'
Mervin Friesen
Prospector 16'
Rick

Post by Rick »

Mix your epoxy in small amounts so that if some detail delays getting it on the fiberglass for any reason, a large amount will not be wasted by heating up and going solid in the mixing cup. The large surface area on the hull prevents heat buildup and the thinly-spread epoxy stays cool and cures normally.

An epoxy mixer will help keep things running smoothly especially the first time round if a warm body can be found to do that for that long a time (I glassed solo with no problems).

Later on, I forgot that the epoxy will heat if there is a delay and wasted a large amount in a mixing cup on a different glassing project.
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

Read fiberglassing 101 from the link shown above paying particular attention to forming the fiberglass to the hull. If you get the glass fitting the hull like a glove, the wet out becomes easy. Have marked measuring cups prefilled with resin so that all you have to do is add hardener and stir before application. Have enough ready for the entire wet out. Here is a link to the procedure I follow and it works well for me.
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... highlight=

Good luck!

Larry