Cork as floor mats

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AsaBlanchard

Cork as floor mats

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Boat Builders,
I was thinking about putting a piece of 1/8 thick cork, L 20 x W12 using double face carpet tape in front of each seat to protect the bilge area. The cork could be finished with spar varnish or left natural. I live in Kentucky and we have lots of rocks, gravel and sand. I was wondering if the cork would trap moisture and create a hidden problem.
Do you have any other materials you would recommend? I don't mind refinishing the floor often, but I plan on using this canoe a lot and want to keep it looking nice.
Thanks for your comments,
Asa Blanchard,
Prospector 17' 1"
Aljo

Post by Aljo »

I think that cork would be just fine, or you can also use some kind of density foam (like armaflex or airex, or something simmilar) They don't absorb water, but they might look out of place in a wooden canoe. Anyway, I would use them without attaching permanently, I would just put them in the boat and after the paddling is over, take it out and dry well, both the mats and the canoe. If you gtlue them in, there will always be some moisture trapped there.
David James

Post by David James »

I just got a monthly e-mail from Chesapeake Light Craft. They're touting a "Nonskid Flooring for Small Craft". You might want to have a look. It's 1/4" thick, UV resistant, selfadhesive, etc. I haven't seen this product but thought of this posting...

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln