Blackening ash gunnels

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim Eastman

Blackening ash gunnels

Post by Tim Eastman »

So it's about 3 years now after we've finished and launched the 38 Special solo. We epoxied and varnished all exposed ash and hardwood trim including the outside gunnels. But I am now noticing that we have blackening ash on the underside of the outside gunnels, so apparently the epoxy coat was not as thorough as I thought.

The remedy for this is what? To sand down to good ash and re-epoxy and varnish? Will it be permanently stained too deep into the wood to do that?
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Rick

Post by Rick »

This where screws are worth the work... the outwale can simply be removed and sanded down. If the stain is too deep, replacement is also an option.

If the outwale is glued on, maybe scraping away a little varnish and epoxy will reveal how deep the stain goes. Wetting the scratched area will show how it looks with fresh varnish.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

These are some products I have read about that can be used to attempt to kill and remove the black fungus after the finish has been removed: laundry bleach with water 50-50. Oxalic acid crystals from a pharmacy with water, automotive radiator coolant/antifreeze.

I have no experience with these products except the laundry bleach which didn't work for me. Please provide adequate ventilation, wear a respirator mask, eye protection and rubber gloves when working with chemical products.

How many coats of epoxy were applied to this wood? How many coats of varnish were applied over the epoxy? How have you stored this boat over the last 3 years and have you done any regular maintenance on it?
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Hi Glen.

There was only one coat of epoxy to coat that ash. (probably a mistake but we were beginners). There are at least two coats of varnish (Coma Bernise) on those gunnels. The boat was stored on two saw horses for the last two years that our son had it North in Michigan's U.P. but it was usually covered with a tarp.

Regular maintenance was another coat of varnish this last spring but our son didn't notice any staining at that time.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It would have taken at least 3 coats of epoxy to seal the ash, or several coats of varnish, or simply applying a coat of walnut (or other) oil every few months.

Some pieces of ash seem more prone to black fungus under certain climate conditions. :thinking