seat weaving

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
don

seat weaving

Post by don »

I am have trouble finding instructions on weaving seats -- does anyone have a source for this information?
thanks
don
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

Gilpatrick's book is very good. "How to build a cedar strip canoe" or something like that.
Jack in Stoughton
Steve Lansdowne

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

I did mine just by referring to Mac McCarthy's chapter in his Wee Lassie book (Featherweight Boatbuilding). My only suggestion is to put the holes in the frame closer together than he suggests. This would make weaving more difficult, but the end product would have smaller holes in the weave than what I came up with.
don

thanks

Post by don »

the info off the web was quite good -- looks like a lot of work but what the heck.
thanks
don
Dave

Post by Dave »

I used the sites that Glen mentioned for my first canoe. The seats turned out nice. For my second canoe I built a Martin Step seat and used his caning method. Thats a nice seat. I don't know if you would consider either method "work" but they are a little time consuming. I would cane for an hr at a time and you can do it while watching TV. Sometimes the seats get just as much attention as the canoe. Its nice to be able to say that you built them too.
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Click on this link: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/gallery_Hiawatha.htm then scroll down near the page bottom. You will see one of the seats I made for my Hiawatha canoe in a daisy pattern. It took me about 8 hours to weave one seat but I feel it was time well spent. Make sure you are sitting comfortably, it's hard on the back.
DaveH_Wis

Post by DaveH_Wis »

Glen,

That is a real good looking seat. Where could I find instructions for the pattern?

Regards,

Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Dave, I couldn't find instructions when I did mine, I just looked at a photo in a magazine and figured it out myself. But this is your lucky day! There are instructions in one of the websites I already gave and here is the direct link: http://krypton.mnsu.edu/~wayne/Caning/D ... nsBack.htm Enjoy!