Strongback complete

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Strongback complete

Post by wb9tpg »

Completed the strongback this weekend. I put wheels on it so I could move it in and out of the shop to allow working outside in nice weather. I used winding sticks (pictured) to verify there is no twist. The camera lens distorts the image a little.

I think it'll work well for me. I'm going to use it as a bench to scarf the strips before mounting the forms to it.

Sherm

Re: Strongback complete

Post by Sherm »

Nice job, makes me want to "re-do" mine.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Are you planning on moving the strongback after the forms are set up?
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Yes I am
Ben

Post by Ben »

That strongback is the soul of your canoe. You need to be absolutely sure that it is level, plumb, free of twists, etc. everywhere that you are working on your boat. Working outside sounds romantic and all, but you need to be sure that the strongback is not twisting or bending during your build.

FWIW, on the Bob's special that I am currently building, my strongback twisted about 1/32" after I got all of the forms and about 20 strips on it, and the feet moved about 1/4" on the floor while planing the outside stems because I was too lazy to anchor them to the floor. I am sweating bullets on how this thing is going to handle in the water. I can't imagine moving the boat on casters and worrying about the hull is reacting. You only get one shot at building each boat, and you need to control every variable to get it perfect.

This just my opinion, but I wouldn't take the chance with one of my boats.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I fastened mine to the floor until I finished the outer "glassing".
Then I added coasters to move it outside for sanding on Nice weather days.
Didn't experience any problems.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

If the canoe is stripped while the strongback and forms are kept level true, and then moved to another spot where it is set level and true, there should be no issue at all if it flexed a wee bit in between. As long as it is then level and true while being glassed, everything should be just great. Because of the sharp shoulders on my canoe (see shot below), I tipped the whole strongback, forms and hull over quite a bit so I could easily get at this shoulder for sanding. It is way easier to do a good job when you get good light and are not sanding over your head while sitting on the floor. I am not worried at all.

I am only building my first canoe, but I have worked with wood my entire life. We move around all kinds of projects at different stages of their build. The biggest thing to ensure is that they sit square while doing the glue up, and even any other time they just sit. Lots of the things I have built will flex and bend when moving, but will stay stable and square if put back into that position.

-JIM-