Installing outside stem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Peter Kotowych

Installing outside stem

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hey,
I am building a Bob's Special and am attempting to attach the outer stem. When I cut down to the inside stem I discovered that to one side of the inside stem there is a gap between the stem and the strips. " I don't know how I's done it, but I know I's done it."
Suggestions, please. Should I go ahead and glue the outside stem and then fill the gap when I do the inside of the canoe :?:
Thanks
Pete
eddie

installing outside stem

Post by eddie »

When Lou and I built our canoe last year we also had a gap that went thru to the inside of the canoe. We filled it with a mix of epoxy glue and wood dust then fit our outer stem.
no problem
eddie
Lou-n-I would like to have company for a northern B.C. wilderness trip this summer
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

If you can reach up underneath to the inside stem, be sure to add a piece of tape to act as a dam. You want to minimize the amount of glue running out through the joint onto the sides of the inside stem where it is hard to clean up. Is the gap big enough it would be worth putting a sliver of wood into fill? I wouldn't think you need it structurually, but in the outside light, a gap can transmit light.
Peter Kotowych

Installing outside stem

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hello Juneaudave,

I think it would be almost impossible to reach underneath and try the duct tape method.
I can certainly see what you mean about the glue messing up the inside of the canoe.
I think I will use your method of trying a thin piece of wood. As you pointed out it is not needed structurally, but will dam up the glue.

Thanks, I appreciate the help
Pete