West System Epoxy cost

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cowboy

West System Epoxy cost

Post by cowboy »

Can anyone tell me what harder is best to use with MAS epoxy ?I wanted to use West System but I live in Texas and they are wanting 47 $ a quart for 207,or if anyone know's if there is an even better product out there that will work just as good .Thanks for any info you can give me. :(
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Howdy, Cowboy,
I used the slow hardener for my first canoe, and it was great. Next time, I'll use slow for the glassing, and buy a small quantity of fast to use when making fillets, gluing, etc. Maybe when I grow up I'll be confident enough to use the fast stuff on the hull, too.
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Cowboy, if you are using MAS epoxy, why don't you wrangle up some MAS hardener?
Erich Eppert

Post by Erich Eppert »

HI Cowboy,

MAS is really different to use. Their hardeners can be mixed to get the mixture to harden faster or slower. I found that the slow hardener will take almost 48 hours to harden in normal temperatures. I checked with MAS and was told to mix the slow with the fast to quicken the hardening time. Their fast will harden in about 12 hours.

I personally like epoxy that will flash in an hour and be hard in 24 hours. This may seem fast to most but it is easy to get use to applying fast epoxy. A helper is a major plus. Good luck, it only gets better from here on.

Regards, Erich.
John Michne

MAS epoxy

Post by John Michne »

I have used MAS exclusively. The slow hardener is just that – slow. It is very comfortable to use for the wet out (I don’t precoat), and will be leathery with an overnight cure. For the fill coats, I mix 25% fast with the slow hardener. That mix allows me to get two fill coat on the day after wet out, and two more on the next day. There is no blush with MAS, even with the 25% fast mix. The MAS fast hardener, when used by itself, will blush, but it has only limited use when used alone.

For a detailed description of fiberglassing and epoxy, see my web site, http://michneboat.com. Click on Builder’s Corner, then scroll down to Fiberglassing-101.

- John
chasmitc

Post by chasmitc »

I used US compositss slow at $30.00/gallon Clear no blush but darn slow. They also have medium and fast
Frugal Charlie
Charlie
Steve Lansdowne

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

RAKA, from Florida (assuming the hurricaine didn't get them too good) is a relatively inexpensive yet good product. Likely you looked at West System in stores. Try the internet and you can save some bucks.