Routing groove in seats?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ed Houston

Routing groove in seats?

Post by Ed Houston »

Hi all

My boat is coming along great I am at the stage of final sanding and glassing. However I have a problem I could use some help with.

How do I get the rounded corners routed into my seat frame :?:
I have bought the seat cane material and bead from Rockler but do not know how to get the nice rounded corner routed into the seat frame.

All assitance will be greatly appreciated.

Ed
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I'm maybe missing what your question is...but...basically, to round the corners, just use your router and a roundover bit with a pilot bearing. On inside corners, you may need to take a flat and/or round file get the very inside. Otherwise, you can do a pretty nice job just with a block and sandpaper.

Post by Guest »

Are you looking for instruction on rounding over the wood edge or for a spline groove?
Erich Eppert

Post by Erich Eppert »

Ed

To route the grooves for the cane splines use a 1/4 inch carbide spiral plunge bit and an inlay set base. I made a template out of 1/4 inch press board and made it so the inside cut out fit the area you want to route out. I round the corners and make the template as smooth as possible to avoid any lumps and bumps when I router the groove. The templates needs to be longer so you can clamp them and use the router to start and finish the cut in one smooth operation. You will need two templates, one for the front seat and one for the rear. Leave about 1/4 inch of wood to the cut groove.

inlay kit
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... ncy=1&SID=

straight router bit
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... ncy=1&SID=

For pictures email me at erich.eppert@sympatico.ca. I can show the method better than trying to explain. I have made over a dozen sets of caned seats this way.

Regards, Erich.
shawnwaite

Ditto

Post by shawnwaite »

What Erich said.. my wifes grandfather came up with this idea.. great (woodworking) minds think alike??

Between the ash stem steam bending and the seats.. it's a toss up which was the most fun of the whole project!

S
I still have sawdust up my nose.