Scratches

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tony Reinolds

Scratches

Post by Tony Reinolds »

Hey folks! My lovely dog jumped up on my yet to be glassed Redbird. Raw cedar strips. Claws made some nice scratch lines. Can I use a wet towel and an iron to raise the scratches? Will the wood glue seperate when heated? Man, this sucks. Thanks for looking. Tony
Patricks Dad

Re: Scratches

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'd start with some warm water applied with a sponge or damp towel. After the grain has been given a chance to raise and dry out, try sanding a bit to see how much you can sand out with out taking off too much wood. If that doesn't do the trick try again but add a bit of heat but I'd worry about using too much heat.

pictures?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you have a soldering iron you can use that instead of a clothes iron so you will be able to concentrate the heat to just the scratches.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Glen Smith wrote:If you have a soldering iron you can use that instead of a clothes iron so you will be able to concentrate the heat to just the scratches.
a word of warning. be careful with a soldering iron. whilst it can be a precise tool for applying heat , if you linger in one spot for too long you will scorch the timber. having it well damp should help. i have a soldering iron that comes with attachments so that it can be used for soldering or wood burning. :wink
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I guess I should have specified to apply the iron to a damp cloth.