Epoxy cloudy after the second coat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
LeeStott

Epoxy cloudy after the second coat

Post by LeeStott »

Hi All
I glassed and resined my freedom 17 yesterday. i have applied 2 coats of west system resin and today the canoe is a bit cloudy. Will this sand off and go clear with the next coat? For info. The weather temp is 9 degrees.
Thanks
Patricks Dad

Re: Epoxy cloudy after the second coat

Post by Patricks Dad »

Adding another coat won't make the first coat turn clear if it's cloudy. If it's been scratched up (aka sanded), it would appear cloudy and that would be cleared up with a next coat). But if you've just put epoxy and cloth on and haven't done any sanding, the cloudy condition is a mystery to me. With your cold temperatures, it's possible that you have a blush (but West System epoxy is not supposed to blush - which hardner did you use?).

If it is blush, you can wash it off with some soap and water or a mixture of vinegar and water. I've never had to do this so I'm speaking a bit out of school here...

How cold is your shop? (9 degrees outside: I'm assuming - is that F or C?).

What is the humidity in your shop?

Perhaps you could post a picture or two...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
LeeStott

Post by LeeStott »

It's 9 deg c and the humidity is fine. I used the fast hardener. I also haven't sanded it. Will it sand back?
LeeStott

Post by LeeStott »

I'll get a pic tomorrow as it's dark here
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Without seeing it, over working the resin comes to mind.
How did you apply the resin?
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
LeeStott

Post by LeeStott »

Poured on and squeegeed off
LeeStott

Post by LeeStott »

I put it on left it for 20 mins before squeeging it off. Can it be recovered?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

What brand of epoxy did you use and which resin and which hardener precisely? The humidity is fine? What percentage is fine?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

So, it sounds like you are using West System 205 hardner (rather than 207), right?

9C is on the low end (but not outside of) the range for using that hardener.

But I would worry most about the last sentence from the West System website:
205 Fast Hardener® is a medium-viscosity epoxy curing agent. It is used in a majority of situations, at lower temperatures and to produce a rapid cure that develops its physical properties quickly at room temperature. When mixed with the 105 Resin in a five-part resin to one-part hardener ratio, the cured resin/hardener mixture yields a rigid, high-strength, moisture-resistant solid with excellent bonding and coating properties. Not intended for clear coating.
I've never used 205 hardner. 207 is the preferred/recommended West System hardener for clear coating.

You may have a natural result for your chosen epoxy hardener. You could gamble that its actually a blush and wash it to see if that helps.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes, try washing it with a rag and warm water then wipe dry with paper towels. If it is still cloudy, go over it with a hot-air gun or a hair dryer. Get the epoxy warm to the touch and go over the entire hull. When finished, walk away and verify it after 24 hours.
LeeStott

Post by LeeStott »

It's the 205 hardener. I have tried the cleaning and also the heat, nothing seems to shift it.
I'm thinking of painting the outside and keeping the wood on the inside. I will get the 207 hardener