Need advice on location of the first strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fisherguytoo

Need advice on location of the first strips

Post by fisherguytoo »

:oops: :roll: My problem is where to place the first and second stips of planking.

Ref... Canoecraft book.....pg 120 and Build a Bear Mtn Style Canoe...photo #5.

The first and second strips on the forms are shown approx one strips width up
from where the vertical curve of the side of the canoe meets the horizontal cut that
goes back to the 12" portion of the form that go down to attach to the strongback.

The plans for the forms that I have from Bear Mtn indicate that the sheer line is the bottom of the curve and the sketchs on pg 121seem to also indicate that the bottom
of the curve is the sheer line.

Should I leave this gap (as shown) or start the plank flush with the sheer line as
indicated on the form plans :shock: :oops: ?????

I am sure that the answer is to begin at the horizontal line that cuts back to the
line coming up from the strongback, but, this is no time for mistakes or starting out
wrong and having to do the planking all over.

THANKS IN ADVANCE fisherguytoo
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I feel that this is one of the little inadequacies of Canoecraft and other how-to books. Some things are explained one way but done another way. When drawing the forms you draw in the sheerline which is the horizontal line you refer to. However, when you cut out the foms it is good to add maybe one inch below the sheerline before making the horizontal cut. This one inch can be useful if you decide you want to add one extra strip to obtain a bit more hull depth.

Anyway, if you have cut your forms along the sheerline, you should install the first strip each side so that it is lined up with the sheerline as stated in Canoecraft on page 120.
fisherguytoo

advice needed on first planks

Post by fisherguytoo »

Thanks for the response Glen. That is really good advice. As a complete novice
working on my first canoe projet I was not aware of this and did cut at the sheer
line. :oops: :roll: OH WELL, this should not present a problem and if it does.
WE SHALL OVERCOME. Thanks fisherguytoo
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

One more thing: If the sheer strip follows the sheerline all along the canoe you can use a strip with one square edge. If the sheer strip does not follow the sheerline all along the canoe you will probably be using a strip that has been beaded and coved. You will later be cutting the sheerline so you could install the sheer strip with the bead or cove (depends if stripping with bead up or cove up) hanging down slightly past the horizontal line on the forms. You will be cutting this portion off anyway.

Let me know if this is unclear to you.
fisherguytoo

post subject

Post by fisherguytoo »

:roll: Thanks. Was not aware of that either. I have two strips made up with cove
only to use as the first strips. But, I can use two of the B & C already made up and
cut the bead on the others as needed. I am using 3/16" strips for weight savings,
are there any other tips that relate to the 3/16" strips ????? I used my shaper and
the bead and cove bits for the shaper along with the green Board Buddies. The Board
Buddies are great :D :P Your last post was very clear, Thanks.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

With 3/16" strips be careful to get the strip edges (bead to cove) well aligned so you don't have too much material to remove to obtain a fair surface. In other words, make tight joints. Mis-aligned strips can have you planing and sanding the hull down quite thin.
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

I also made the asame mistake cutting the forms to the shear line. I fixed the shear plank to the frame with about a 1/4" below the shear line I will when at that point comes fare the edge after the inside and outside whales are fitted.

Ed
:D