Need a Soft ROS Pad

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Need a Soft ROS Pad

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

I have a DeWalt 5 inch random orbital sander. I can't seem to locate a soft sanding pad for this unit. Any suggestions?

Post by guest »

I bought one at woodworkers supply. Works pretty good.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Jeff, mine is a Bosch and I went to a store that sells Bosch tools and explained to the salesman what I was looking for. He gave me the co-ordinates of the closest "Bosch Authorised Service Center" and they ordered the part for me. I arrived three days later and it only cost about $5.00. Gee, it cost me $15.00 of gas to go get the darned thing.

Oops! I made a mistake on the price. It was more like $15.00 for that part. The $5.00 part was the vacuum hose adaptor.
borinn

sanding pad

Post by borinn »

I also have the dewalt 5' ROS. I went to the local Dewalt/Black and Decker store and the ordered me the soft replacement pad for about $12-18 (I think). I found it did work a little better in the bilge area when sanding the inside, but it still wasn't as soft as I wished. I will try to see if I can find a product # on it tonight.

BORINN

addendum: I think the pad DW4388 on http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/attac ... uctID=8990
is the one I ordered. It is medium vs. the hard one that came with the sander

Borinn
Last edited by borinn on Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Jeff,
I buy alot of my tools from Marsh Power Tools just down the street from you at Middlebelt and 8 Mile in Livonia. I'm sure they will have a soft pad for you.
Peter Kotowych

Soft ROS pad

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hi Jeff,

I recently went scouting for a soft pad for my DeWalt 5" ROS.
I spoke to a sales rep at Tmbr-Mart in Midland, Ont. and he gave me the part # for a soft pad. DW4387
He said it was $40 Canadian.
I think I'll wait for the next canoe at that price. In the long run I am sure it would be worth it.
There is also a medium pad #DW4388

Hope it is of some help.
Penetang Pete
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I just ordered one from Newfound Woodworks http://www.newfound.com/tools.htm $10.95 US plus shipping.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Klingspor has everything you could ever want for sanding. Search for CUSHION PAD or your brand of sander. There are 2 types of pads, one that replaces your existing pad, and the cushion pad that goes between the existing pad and sander.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com
Bud
duncan

ROS soft pad thickness?

Post by duncan »

Hello all,

I have a Ridgid 5" ROS. In anticipation of the long awaited prospector build I am looking for a soft pad. This is for sale at Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,42500

At 3/8" will this interface pad be sufficient?

Thanks!
-Duncan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The soft interface pad I have (from Newfound Woodworks) is 1/2" thick but I think the 3/8" pad will work fine. I built several boats before owning a soft pad.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Thanks very much!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You are welcome.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I have a 1/2" thick soft pad for my Dewalt 5" ROS, but I don't like it ... it is too soft and the grit gets no "bite" unless I really lean on it ... so the pad has been relegated for use as a coaster for cold drinks in the garage. An expensive coaster, mind you, but I gotta keep those condensation rings off my ratty old workbench, don'tcha know.