Nokomis

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Oregon Paddler

Re: Nokomis

Post by Oregon Paddler »

Did the skill saw method and it worked great once I built some jigs to assist with stabilizing the planks and got a friend to move clams while I mushed to saw. I now have a new issue. In an effort to decrease the weight of the canoe, I am planing down the strips to 0.222 thickness. I have borrowed an older Ryobi 10 thickness planer from a friend. I an having a very difficult time getting the planks to come out with a consistent thickness. a single 16' plank will often come out of the planer with a thickness of 0.222 to 0.227. It is an older machine, but I am not certain if the machine is the issue or the softness and thinness of the planks. My concern is that when I get to routing the bead and cove this variation may be a problem.
Thoughts or suggestions???
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
Oregon Paddler

Post by Oregon Paddler »

Did the skill saw method and it worked great once I built some jigs to assist with stabilizing the planks and got a friend to move clams while I mushed to saw. I now have a new issue. In an effort to decrease the weight of the canoe, I am planing down the strips to 0.222 thickness. I have borrowed an older Ryobi 10 thickness planer from a friend. I an having a very difficult time getting the planks to come out with a consistent thickness. a single 16' plank will often come out of the planer with a thickness of 0.222 to 0.227. It is an older machine, but I am not certain if the machine is the issue or the softness and thinness of the planks. My concern is that when I get to routing the bead and cove this variation may be a problem.
Thoughts or suggestions???
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'd get the router set up going to see if you really have a problem there. I'd guess 5 thousandths of an inch won't be an issue (actually that's .224 +/- only 2 or 3 thousandths...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've cut strips as thin as 1/8" with the Skilsaw. For the Inserts on my Composites. They came out very uniform, and no planing required.

I didn't bother bead and coving, as there is no need, for that thin of a strip..

The Skilsaw did a very uniform cut. I would use a Caliper to check the spacings for the fence to blade.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Oregon Paddler

Post by Oregon Paddler »

thanks for the suggestion Jim, I'll experiment with this.
Diego,