Names????

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

Names????

Post by Guest »

Ships have names. What about canoes? Does anyone name a canoe?
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

oh yes indeed, it does. It 's all up to you.
Peter Kotowych

Name for Canoe

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hi Erik,

I had not really thought about naming my canoe, until an old friend asked me what I would call it. I had not considered giving it a name.

This friend who is about 82 then had to have a hip operation and was feeling rather poorly in the hospital. I mailed her a picture of the canoe and told her I was naming it Elizabeth in her honour. Well let me tell you how thrilled she was, both at the beauty of the canoe and that it bore her name. She was really tickled. The only down side of this is that my wife and sister are upset that I did not name it after them. Yikes!!

All canoes are of course female, right? They are beautiful, shapely,........

Penetang Pete
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, guest,
My Hawaiian outrigger is named Ke Kalakupua, which is Hawaiian for The Magic. The letterhead on our communications with people who want to rent our condo is Ke Kalakupua o'Kauai...the Magic of Kauai. Thought of making it just Kalakupua or Magic, but thought Ke Kalakupua could mean the magic of Kauai, the ocean, the canoe, the whales, or anything else you wanted it to mean. Ho'o Kalakupua means magician, which was also in the running. It was fun to go through a bunch of suggestions, try to translate them into Hawaiian, and finally pick the one that seemed the best overall.
A hui ho,
Kent
Armin, Germany

Post by Armin, Germany »

I named it "CHEECHAKOO". It´s the indian name for Greenhorn. For my first stripper I think it´s the perfect name ;-)
Rob from Hamilton

names

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

I had all kinds of names in mind. I like music so I had thought of silly little names like "Bits and Pieces", or "Daydreams", or "Norwegian Wood". There were more names that were under consdideration too, but I can't remember them all right now.
The name I settled on came to me after thinking about why I had built the boat in the first place. My Dad (a woodworker hobbyist) died in 1994, and I had a sister die in 1997. In 2001 my Mother died unexpectedly of a heart attack. I felt like I was lost.
I had this urge to built something that would carry my family, and would last forever, and be handed down for generations. I decided on a cedar strip canoe. My wife laughed, and said it's a great idea, but I would never finish it. Well, after a couple of months of work, my Redbird was done. And I think it's beatiful. I get compliments on it wherever we go with it, and sometimes I end up talking about it more than canoeing with it!
I had been thinking of all that I had gone through in the past number of years, and decided to name it "Tribute" in memory of my family that were no longer with us, but who had inspired me to build this boat. My family was literally dying off in front of me, so I built something that held MY family all together at once. Since then we've had many hours of peaceful (mostly!) canoeing, and my 14 year old son has even built a small cedar strip from scratch, and it turned out great! He even built his own paddles, and every single piece on the boat.
"Tribute" will be around forever, I'm sure. As will the memories of those she's named after. It's a great way for a family to be together.
GeirB

Post by GeirB »

Can anyone tell me the indian names for sprouce, birch, alder, ash and aspen.
My Prospector is buildt in sprouse with birch trim, and I have buildt a Wabnaki in alder with ash trim.

Geir

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies to my original post. It is truely interesting to read about the origin of names and their meanings. The reason for my question was that I was thinking of naming my canoe and wished for an indian name. I was hoping for a name that means "One With Grace" or "Graceful".
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Rob, how strange! During the planking phase, I too felt a special connection to my parents who died in 1998. This was particularly true for my dad, who influenced me the most ( relative to building things that is). And I do build things all the time without dwelling on their loss. But the feeling was especially strong when working on this canoe, a Redbird. Why? Is it the symbolism that I was building "something that would carry my family, and would last forever, and be handed down for generations". Frankly, I don't know. The fact is that there is therapy in boat building. One more reason to build a Redbird.
I was going to dedicate it to my dad, but felt that it would not be fair to my mom. Your solution is an inspiring one.
On a happier note, how do you like your Redbird?
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I named my current project after the model: a Winisk from Green Valley Canoes, who are located in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

The model is named after the Winisk river, which is running some 250 miles north into the bottom of mighty Hudson Bay, Ontario, Canada.

The canoe is designed by John Winters, who is living west of Algonquin Park, Canada.

Plenty of reasons I thought to add a Canadian maple leave (inlay with purpleheart wood, which is red coloured by nature itself. Red as in the Canadian flag.) into the hull, together with the name (inlay with maple wood).

you can see the result as the background of my homepage.

Erik
http://users.pandora.be/kano-kayak/
Rob from Hamilton

names and Redbird

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

Hi Bernie,
Thanks for understanding some of the things that go through ones head when building a canoe. It did help clear my mind, and was very therapeutic. Then, watching my son build his own canoe, I realized I had actually passed something along to him, as I realized my Dad had passed things on to me.
When my Dad was a kid he was a runner, and his nickname was "Fast Ernie", so I thought about naming the boat that, but it wouldn't have been fair to my Mom, or my sister. I figure "Tribute" takes it all in. We even christened it with bottled water, before it's first launch.
My Redbird, I believe, is made from the original forms from the first Canoecraft. It's supposedly a little more tippy than the new one, but we haven't dumped it yet! It's very easy to paddle, and would go more in a straight line if I was a better paddler! It actually performs very well empty or fully loaded, and it's reasonably fast. This past summer we had all five of us and two small Cocker Spaniels in it, and had no problems. I like paddling it alone the best. It's a beautiful design too, and I get lots of compliments. It rides low in the water, and I like that too. I've seen other designs on the water, and some of them can look like wooden bathtubs!
John B in ID

Names

Post by John B in ID »

Names make it easier to indentify a canoe in a conversation and also seem to add to the personality of the canoe. After my first canoe, I noticed that no one in our family is naming babies after my long-gone grandparents any more. I also noticed that there is a precedent to giving small open boats male names (Consider the famous "James Caird".) Anyway two of my canoes are named "Fridolin" and "Henry" and the next one is to be the "Mary Hennes". So, all but one of my grandparents will be remembered by my boats and I'm sure there will be a very sprecial boat to become the "Johanna". The family seems to enjoy the names and the naming . (It does require a little party, after all.)

FWIW, Indian names would seem to be very appropriate canoe names, but it would probably be a good idea to identify the correct ethnic group after which the boat is named. There is no "Indian language". There are (or were) hundreds of them and they belonged to many language families and even to several different linguistic stocks. Some of these languages were unrelated to others as far as we know. Kutenai would be an example of this.

Sorry, I just had to get this last paragraph off my chest. I do feel better now.
Happy naming! It's part of the fun.

John B.
Matthew Bryant

Post by Matthew Bryant »

My inspiration seems kind of trivial in comparison to Rob's and John's, but I'll share it anyway.

Until recently, we had a Husky mix named Caleb. He was a great dog. He was smart, funny, and genuinely loving. He had one bad habit, though. He absolutely could not resist peeing on my cedar strips whenever he got the chance. Since he and our other dog slept in the basement where I'm building my Wee Lassie II, and I had nowhere to hang the strips out of his reach, he got the chance pretty often.

We lost Caleb about a month ago. My strips smell a lot better, but I miss him a lot. One thing is kind of nice, though. Wherever that canoe goes, a little (stinky) part of Caleb will go, too. That's why I decided to call the canoe Caleb's Walk.

Matthew
jcolten

Names

Post by jcolten »

Shortly after building an MCA Guide 30+ years ago I acquired an interest in whitewater paddling. The resulting damage and patches resulted in her getting named "Scarface". We do mainly quietwater paddling now. Did an almost total rehab project on Scarface a couple years ago and re-christened her "Second Honeymoon"

Also have an MCA Explorer. Those familiar with both that design and American presidential history might be able to guess why she's named "Tyler".
marchmyres

Post by marchmyres »

My boat (under construction) has two names. She was christened "The Red Fox" early on in the building progess (to distinguish it from all my other unfinished projects). In thanks to the kind and patient couple - Victoria and Laurence - who have hosted my boatbuilding she may be called "Lorivik" when they take their grandkids out in it...

The guy who got me in to all this has just renamed his stitch and glue guide boat "Black Hole", after his wife started referring to her as "Sweet Pea".