Lofting Tables for the Freedom Solo

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Lofting Tables for the Freedom Solo

Post by Cruiser »

I have a 2011 (7th printing) version of CanoeCraft ... it has lofting tables for quite a few of the Bear Mountain Boats, but not the Freedom Solo.

Does the new edition have the Freedom Solo lofting tables?
Does anyone one know if they are even available?

Brian
sedges

Re: Lofting Tables for the Freedom Solo

Post by sedges »

The website doesn't list which designs have off-sets in the book. I rather doubt that the Freedom solo is in there. The plans are available and well worth the $95. No matter how good we might be at drafting from off-sets, working from full-sizes reproduced patterns is going to be more accurate. The plans come with off-sets if you want the experience.

I've built two canoes from the book, but both have were "traditional" designs, the original designer long gone. Mr. Killing is still alive and deserves to get credit and income from his great designs. That come from selling plans. As you plan for you build search this site for the thread from the development of the concept for this canoe canoe. There was a lot of input from this forum.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The Freedom Solo lofting table is not in the newest canoe craft. I'm not aware that they are available. As Sedges notes, the plans is the way to go. I had the privilege of meeting Steve Killing a month or so ago at the Bear Mountain Boats Rendezvous where I was displaying the Freedom Solo I had built a few years ago. We had a nice chat.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Hey, wait a minute.... Cruiser, I thought you have already built the Freedom Solo (maybe twice)... You must have plans already (so telling you to buy plans is probably not a satisfying answer). Why do you need the lofting tables?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks for the replies, and Randy you are correct, i have built 2 Freedom Solos and I also have 2 plan sets.

I also believe in supporting the designers and I do respect the fact that royalties are the way most designers get paid.

Sedges, just a point about lofting from tables, when I did my Freedom 17, I lofted the entire set of molds from CanoeCraft (and posted the method) and then bought the plans and compared the lofted set to the plans.
In a word, they were exact ... so although I agree with the idea of buying the plans, truthfully, they are no more accurate than the tables IMO.

I am doing the preliminary work on designing a new boat, with some very specific goals in mind. I will be building some design tools and wanted to use the lofting tables of the Freedom Solo as a start point/reference. I am also looking at the Swift Keewaydin for the same reason, i will have to loft that boat myself, and was trying to avoid doing the same for the Freedom Solo .... I can just drag out the Freedom plans I guess and make up a set of tables, from those. I will also check those plans for the offset tables, I didn't recall seeing them on there, but I wasn't really looking either, thanks for that tip.

I wasn't sure if it was in the new version of CC and as Sedges pointed out, the advertising doesn't say ... but thank you both for responding.

Brian
sedges

Post by sedges »

If you have a set of full-sized plans you can create your own table of offsets.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Brian,

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com