Redbird Mold.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
shawnkielty

Redbird Mold.

Post by shawnkielty »

Station 8 is not complete but I'll figure that out soon. Some progress this week. Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Re: Redbird Mold.

Post by Jim Dodd »

Mold looks great. Some omit form 8. They were pleased with the result.
Did you happen to lay a strip on the molds to see if it touches, or very close to all the molds ? This is called "Fairing" this little trick will tell you if the mold spacing needs any adjusting.

Are you building outside ? Take great care to keep it dry. Even a heavy dew can distort things.

A good start Shawn !

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Thanks Jim.

I am sure there's room for improvement wrt the mold stations, I anticipate some adjustment may be necessary. Now I think I need to find some wood. :thinking
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Looking Good ... the excitement is about to start
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

So -- I have a master' degree in Sculpture. So I kind of own this. But there is that one moment when you realize that it's going to be a canoe.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Well, Jim. Yes -- I have been poking around with a strip of wood and it looks ok.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

outerstem_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Looks good. It's pretty easy to glue up the inner and outer stems all in one go. Just be sure to not apply glue to the outside of the outside layer of the inner stem!

You're going to love the Redbird..
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Thanks! I am thinking that the stem pattern may be a bit off. There's a quarter inch gap between the top of the stem and the top of the adjacent station. My mind would like those to be the same height. Perhaps my stem molds are too large?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Take a good look at your original plans. The top edge of the stem mold should sit below the peak of the station 7 mold a bit. I don't remember exactly how much but your picture doesn't look too far off (you note 1/4" = that seems OK - but your picture appears to be more than that which is a bit concerning). .. Your read of the plan will tell you exactly how different they should be. You will need to shape the stem to align with the station mold (and the strips that lay on those station molds....). As you shape the stem to match the station mold, you should not need to remove most of the thickness of the stem (my recollection without the boat or plans in front of me).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I do now have a recollection of having a pin through station 7 into the end of the inner stem to hold it in place. That would suggest that the stem was a bit higher than your picture suggests. Again, a detailed look at your plans should give some guidance.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

It looks like the stem mold is a bit (1/8") oversized. The stem is the first pattern I made and despite five years of sign making, I am a tad rusty. Laying the plans on top of one another revealed a 5/8" difference between the height of station 7 and the stem. IF I take a saw cut on the stem molds and raise station 7 a bit (and perhaps station 6) I suspect that won't screw the lines of the boat too much.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Thanks, BTW!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I recommend you determine which mold(s) is(are) incorrect and fix it(them) only, rather than make adjustments to multiple stations to correct the problem.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com