Stripping the Redbird

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
shawnkielty

Re: Stripping the Redbird

Post by shawnkielty »

We are somewhere between "oh look" and " oh yeah"
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

?? pics .... explain
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Raising the grain. My old friend ... a salty dog. He took a look at the photo, and said "*She's* ready for the water."
RB_Raising the grain_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

You are getting there .... the next bit is where you start wanting to finish and get her on the water for sure.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I hope you didn't soak that hull too much ? The ground looks pretty wet ?

You could be in for trouble with warping, and glue softening.

You want that hull as dry as can be, before adding glass.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

The first bit of the glass is done ... It was in fact wet, but we let it dry for a couple days ... Gloria is going out right now to put down the third coat of epoxy on the outside of the hull. I am really allergic to epoxy. So I am trying to stay out of the way. It looks like it's going to work out okay. This morning we sanded all with 220 grtt, wiped
RbGlassedz-sml.jpg
it all down with a tack rag, and went to glass and epoxy. There are some small issues ... we are going to keep putting it down and then go paddle it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

I literally just ran the hose over it till it was all wet. and then stopped. It seems stable. @Jim Dodd.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

I think she's going to be called "Sweet Melissa"
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Sacramento, California
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Shawn
Curious how you became sensitized to epoxy ?
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

I worked in a small silkscreen shop for 1 year in 1976-77. They primarily used an epoxy based ink to print a variety of stuff for the electronics industry. We were all working and not protecting ourselves ... I was the grunt. I pretty much had the equivalent of poison oak for about 6 months, and finally left that. I am having symptoms right now from yesterday's exposure, despite the benadryl.

My very next job was to sand epoxy cast electromagnets at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. That was pretty disastrous. Stanford was brilliant. They diagnosed my condition and moved me to a new job. I built and installed about 100 "Bend" magnets for the Positron Electron project. (Wear your dulcimiter)

It's a bit weird, but the smell of the epoxy evokes an odd response. I spent so much time with it. My wife did the bulk of yesterday's work. That's pretty close to having someone buy you a bass boat. I think she's right, I am a lucky dog.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

Just to note ... It seems that I have managed to successfully protect myself from the effects of contact with epoxy. Tyvek suit, gauntlet gloves, full face shield and a spray sock. A space suit, if you will. There is just a hint of rash (Contact Dermitus) at the joint of the gloves and the tyvek. Next time I need to add duct tape.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

WOW !

Your story brings Home the necessity of PPEs, in this day and age !

I know the epoxy can take years to fully cure, especially if not properly mixed !

Be careful and good luck ! There is so much around us, that can do us harm !

Jim
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

I don't think I was entirely successful in keeping the effects of the epoxy away, my eyes are swollen today.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

115984705_10163396601770538_3248950966870759300_o.jpg
Hello all. There have been some delays lately, but we did manage to get the Bird glassed and off the mold. The biggest distraction has been the move. which should result in me working indoors before winter. Shown here is the not really finished Redbird arriving at the new shop. The new shop is a 3 car garage with an additional covered carport and ample storage. It's not too far from the confluence of the Sacramento and American rivers ... so I might be able to find a place to paddle.

Shawn