Another New Builder Here with a Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
compass

Another New Builder Here with a Question

Post by compass »

Hello everyone, George here with my first post. I'd like to start by thanking all who have posted such useful information on this forum. I know that most of the questions I have had about the build process have likely already been or can be answered here- it's been very helpful to say the least!
A bit about myself: Semi-retired (more so due to current events) in Southern California and landed my first planks on my first canoe build yesterday. I am building the 15' Ranger with Bear Mountain Boat plans.
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=399
As I started the planking a few questions came up, of course. I found the answers to a couple of them by searching the database here. However, there is one that almost kept me awake last night and it has to do with stapling. The planks don't sit flush against the station molds towards the stems of the canoe. I already knew this but what I didn't consider was that when I stapled them, the small gap between the station and the back of the plank caused some splintering to occur when the staple exited the plank before entering the mold. I attempted to show this in the middle picture attachment.
Now I have a couple of ideas on how to address this:
Instead of trying to line up the staples on the center of the mold's edge, line them up on the part of the edge that is contacting the plank.
or:
Press the plank tightly against the mold and staple to the center of the mold's edge and let the plank spring back out thus preventing the splintering.
Sorry to be so wordy and, hopefully, I explained the situation clearly. Thank you for reading and responding if you have feedback!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Re: Another New Builder Here with a Question

Post by Jim Dodd »

First off ! Welcome Aboard George !

Seems like this Virus thing has put a lot of people in the shop working ! Kinda good in a way.

I have lightly hand sanded the leading edge on my forms, to relieve the edge and reduce a sharp dent on the inside of my strips, that this can leave.

This may reduce blow out on the back side.
Another thing is to add a few more layers of tape.

I know that's not what you are asking about, but it might help.

You have the right idea to move the staple closer to the leading edge.

It looks like you have things set up right ! Your pics adequately tell the story.

Hope to see more of your build as you progress !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
compass

Re: Another New Builder Here with a Question

Post by compass »

Thank you Jim! Your reply shows that you fully understand what I was trying to say. I truly appreciate the feedback- I think some additional tape and offset stapling will help (when staples are needed). My concern over "blowout" has me thinking about going staple-less as much as possible.