Ranger Progress

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
compass

Ranger Progress

Post by compass »

Finally getting into the meat of the stripping process which I know is old hat for many of you but a totally new experience for me. Only adding 2 strips a day- one on each side but I'm shaping the stems as I go out of fear that I might make a mistake. As it turns out, every stem shape I have made, so far, has been pretty much the same- from 1/8" on the leading edge to just wider than the stem mold, a little over 1/2" on the trailing edge. However, this will soon change as I am nearing the point where the stem starts to curve back towards the body of the canoe.
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=407
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=406
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=405
After stapling the sheer plank I've decided to try and minimize the use of staples. From the use of lots of painter's tape and wedges the planks have stayed on the mold and pretty tight against each other, however, some joints look a lot better than others. Overall, I am pleased with how things are going but I did botch up filling a divot in one of the planks. I mixed some wood glue and sawdust and filled the hole but it dried much darker than I anticipated. I'm also waiting to make the final end cuts of my planks by the stems because my first attempts were dangerously close to being too short.
Even though the going is slow it sure is nice to finally see some visible progress at the end of the day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Re: Ranger Progress

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice Progress Compass !
Love the Feature Strip !

Just a link for Spring clamps that I think you will be impressed by ! Follow the instructions closely.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/for ... -stripping

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
compass

Post by compass »

Thank you Jim- I am more than impressed with that idea! It's awesome that you noticed how much tape I was using in the photo I posted which also showed some of my spring clamps sitting idle. Now I can really put those spring clamps to good use.
I appreciate the feedback on the feature strip which was more challenging than I had anticipated. I wound up changing the design a couple of times because fabrication safety and strength concerns but I am happy with the end result.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Nice progress and nice to see a new build in progress. I dubbed those clamps "Jimmi Clamps" not sure if Jim minds or not, but it gets him credit for the idea.

You will be amazed how much of what you figure out for canoe building, will apply to most other wood projects you do now.

Glad to have another builder not using staples, keep the progress reports coming

Brian
compass

Post by compass »

Cruiser wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 pm Nice progress and nice to see a new build in progress. I dubbed those clamps "Jimmi Clamps" not sure if Jim minds or not, but it gets him credit for the idea.

You will be amazed how much of what you figure out for canoe building, will apply to most other wood projects you do now.

Glad to have another builder not using staples, keep the progress reports coming

Brian
Thank you Brian. Seeing pictures of the work that you, Jim and others here have done is both inspiring and humbling. Yes, those Jimmi clamps look like real time savers. I'm going to put some together tomorrow. George.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Good progress indeed. It's not about how fast your but how much you enjoy the build. Take your time. As for tape, I use that tin (3/4" wide) packing tape with the threads in it. It's incredibly strong and you can put plenty of tension in it to hold a strip to the previous one.

Your build is looking great.

Thanks for sharing your progress
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
compass

Post by compass »

Thank you Randy. Yes, I know the tape you speak of and appreciate the feedback- so many good ideas here! I'm committing them to memory because someday that situation will come up and I'll say, "oh, I know what will work!" I just got back from the hardware store where I picked up materials to make the clamps that Jim mentioned so I'm looking forward trying that method today. George.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

George
Your accent strip is bigger than the ones I do. I would glue the pieces to a full length strip, off the hull, and then install. Did you do it that same way ?

Jim
compass

Post by compass »

Jim, Yes, if I understand the question, I assembled the accent strips off the hull and then installed as 1 complete plank. Several joints broke on me as I was moving the strips so I stopped using butt joints, switched to marine epoxy and left small clamps on the joints until the plank was in place and the glue dried.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

That was why I asked the question.
I assemble mine the same way. One full length strip with pieces glued to it, The glue joint between the pieces opened up.

Placing the strip where there was little bending pressure helped. I still had to use a little filler.

It worked out ! As even I can't see it.

Putting together so many rows ? I can see the difficulty you had !

It will turn out fine !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Jim, If I understand your process correctly (one full strip with pieces glued to it), the accent will be visible only on the outside, is that correct? I assume you start with a thinner strip? Or did you mean that you start with one full 'normal' strip and glue the accent pieces for the next strip to the side of that one 'normal' strip?

When I built my first canoe, the accent "strip" covered 6 strips. Each strip was built separately on the shop floor and then applied to the canoe one at a time being careful to ensure proper alignment. I was worried about the joints failing as I bent the strips in place so used very tiny (16" thick) biscuits in each joint. It was very tedious (but worked).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Patricks Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am Jim, If I understand your process correctly (one full strip with pieces glued to it), the accent will be visible only on the outside, is that correct? I assume you start with a thinner strip? Or did you mean that you start with one full 'normal' strip and glue the accent pieces for the next strip to the side of that one 'normal' strip?
(but worked).
The accent strip is just like a regular strip. It's visible from both sides.
A pic would have been better than my poor Grammer !

Here is a pic The pieces are glued to one full length strip. The other full length strip in the pic, is there for support, no glue.

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

No pictures...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
compass

Post by compass »

https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=408
My first attempts to build accent strips failed before they even made it to the hull. I also considered 1/16 inch dowels but tried the other things I mentioned above first and they worked. In the picture, the small rectangle looks like it has butt joints but they are scarf joints and the rectangle is a bit longer on the inside of the hull. Also in the picture you can see that I botched up the alignment of the feature strips on the other side of the hull (it's a long story).
My tolerance for mistakes has grown during this build- otherwise and I don't think that I would make any progress!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Compass

What wood did you use for the light colored pieces ?

I used to use just Light colored Cedar, but it darkened in time.

Switched to Aspen, and the contrast is much better !

Jim