Kilcoo-Minto 15'7" cedar canvas design as a cedar strip?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
stu

Kilcoo-Minto 15'7" cedar canvas design as a cedar strip?

Post by stu »

Due to covid 19 I will not be spending my summer at Kilcoo camp for the first time in many years so I have decided to try building a canoe. I still have a lot to learn/research (I have a copy of canoecraft coming in the mail) but I am very excited.

My camp uses a canoe design based on the Minto Marine 16' which was custom designed by Gull lake Boat Works and would like to use this same design in order due to it's history and connection to my camp.

https://glbw.ca/kilcoo-minto-157%22

This canoe is usually a cedar canvas canoe but is there any reason why I couldn't use the same dimensions to build a cedar strip?
sedges

Re: Kilcoo-Minto 15'7" cedar canvas design as a cedar strip?

Post by sedges »

Nice design.

Can you get plans, including table of offsets from Gull Lake? Usually purchase of plans gives you the authorization to build one canoe from those plans.

By the plan sheet you linked it looks like the offsets will be to the outside of the planking, so you will need to draw the lines for each station and then correct for the thickness of the hull. In this situation I have always put finishing nails just touching the outside of the line and bent a 1/4 inch batten to the inside of the nails and drew a new line. I used plexiglass for the batten. If 1/4 inch plexiglass won't make the bend I used 3/16 inch and made a fat line. It always worked out just fine in the end.

I did my drafting on heavy paper on a piece of plywood so I could put nails in it.
stu

Post by stu »

I got in touch with Marc from gull lake boat works and he was very helpful but said that he does not have plans for a strip kilcoo-minto. In order to keep things relatively simple for my first build I have decided to just order plans for a ranger from bear mountain.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

If you like a bit of adventure, you could just copy the shape and then make your forms/canoe from that. Having the plan would allow you to build it as is or change the length shape as you want before you build it.

I would likely call that friendly owner though and ask if he minds you building a copy ... chances are he won't care as it isn't a sale he would make anyway, maybe offer him a few pics for promotions or a thank you.

I just finished copying a production boat and then making significant mods to make it the way I wanted, the copy part is pretty straight forward and not too difficult.

Brian