First Build Questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Re: First Build Questions

Post by Cruiser »

This is a stemless build.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

First off your canoe looks great Stu !

I've always used the outside of the hull. to lay and trim the cloth for the inside. Just make sure canoe is clean and not dusty.
I trim a couple inches long.
Roll it up . Flip the hull. and unroll the cloth on the inside.
Everyone has their own method.

I glass the inside with one piece. When wetting out the cloth, concentrate on the middle, and fuss with the ends at the end. You can waste a lot of time on the ends !
I simply overlap the edges in the stems. First one side is tucked in using a stick, or putty knife, and then the other side, over the first.

Glassing the ends separately from the main hull, is a great option for the beginner. That would be my recommendation !

Good Luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
stu

Post by stu »

Glassing the inside went well and I’ve gotten the gunnels on as well. Now just decks, seats and varnish to do. Unfortunately I’m moving away for school in a couple days so I won’t be able to finish until next summer. Here’s a few pictures of my current progress. Thanks for all the help from everyone on here.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Nice job, sucks you have to leave off building for now ... but it will wait patiently for your return

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Way to go Stu !

You have the critical part done ! The rest can wait a year if you can ?

Me ? I would play Hookie ! I would have a hard time studying knowing that canoe was waiting to be finished ! !

Seriously ! Have a good year at School !

Again nice job !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
stu

Post by stu »

Hey kind of forgot about about this forum but I finished the canoe last spring. I also did a couple cherry wood paddles to go with it over the summer. Thanks to everyone that helped out with advice on here! Overall I'm super happy with how it turned out. Epoxy and varnish both aren't perfect but I'm fine with that. Felt amazing to get out and paddle it. I'm out in BC again at school but I have some cool trip ideas planned for it next summer. Here's some photos: