material for station molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Oregon Paddler

material for station molds

Post by Oregon Paddler »

Setting up to build my first canoe. I have reviewed multiple forums and watched several videos and noticed people using MDF and plywood for the station molds. Also some at 3/4 in and some at 1/2. Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of the two options would be apreciated,
Thanks

Diego
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
Maddog

Re: material for station molds

Post by Maddog »

I used MDF. It is inexpensive, and it is flatter than the cheap plywood. It is easier to trace stations onto with a fine tip due to being so smooth. I also didn't want to fill any gaps between the plys of cheap plywood for the staples to go into. I built with staples, and am sure I could get a few more builds on the same stations before the ends begin to break apart enough to cause an issue (this would be of no concern if building stapleless, and would expect mdf stations to last many many builds if going stapleless). That being said, I had no problems with staples pulling out or not holding well. The biggest problem I may see with using mdf is during a stapleless build. You may need to back your clamping jigs with sandpaper for it to hold due to the surface being so smooth (especially around the bilge and high tension areas).

As far as 1/2" vs 3/4", I used 1/2" in my build. Not as wide of a station should make it easier for the cedar planking to form fair curves around as opposed to the 3/4". So long as you support the 1/2" and secure a batten to keep the molds plumb, there will be no issue with using 1/2".
Oregon Paddler

Post by Oregon Paddler »

Thanks, good info. I believe I will use mdf even though I plan to build without staples.
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
shawnkielty

Post by shawnkielty »

I used a weird ball combination of plywood and fiberboard ... the flat and machine ability of the fiberboard is totally good. The ply holds the staples better but ... use straps to pull the strips into the mold. And clamp in the way of Ted's book. There's no mystery here.

S