Offsets for the freedom 17

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Lee in Sweden

Offsets for the freedom 17

Post by Lee in Sweden »

A friend on the Facebook forum kindly pointed this out to me

Skimming thru CanoeCraft again the other day I noted some info in Chapter 4 that may be pertinent to your issues with the mold stations. So easy to overlook if you skip & go directly to the tables for the canou you plan to loft. Page 42 in my edition, 2nd column just over halfway down there's a paragraph regarding table of offsets. To make matters worse there's also a typo there, should read "given to the inside of the planking" vs "outside" as printed. However the info that piqued my interest is "If plans are being drawn from these offsets, the 1/4-inch plank thickness will be deducted from the body plan or half-breadths after lofting the waterlines full size." I think that might mean if you don't shave 1/4 inch off the lofted plans, your boat will be 1/4 "fat" if you get my drift... Thought I'd throw that out there before you get too much further along....

My forms are exactly to the book- heights and half breadths!

Am I supposed to remove my strip thickness from the entire form or just half breadths ( this is totally confusing me)
I’m happy to do it I just need clarification

Thanks guys
Patricks Dad

Re: Offsets for the freedom 17

Post by Patricks Dad »

Lee, You might find this comprehensive post from Cruiser helpful...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4658

Brian, did you subtract 1/4" from the tables in Canoecraft to account for the thickness of the planking?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

In a word Randy, I didn't.

However, I am suspicious that the idea of subtracting the 1/4" from the tables is correct. I lofted from CC and bought the plans and compared, they matched.

It would make no sense to sell plans with form shapes that can't be used directly .... an email to BearMountain would seem to be in order, to clarify.

I was just pondering the idea and actually, you cannot just subtract a 1/4" from one table ... in fact both tables describe the same shape, so you would need to address both tables, which won't be a simple as one subtraction ... I would definitely email BMBs and get a clarification, this speculation here and on the FB page isn't going to answer the question.

As far as lofting the Freedom 17 I believe there was only 1 correction and I included it in that post. Lee, the build is also posted in the Freedom 17 area, if you have any interest.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You wouldn't subtract 1/4" from each table (or just one). You would need to remove 1/4" from the forms edge all along (as in draw a line parallel to the lofted lines drawn from the tables.

But I think that is all moot. Someone on facebook noted an FAQ on the BMB website:

"At the Bear Mountain Boats website in FAQ it states that page 42 is incorrect. The tables have already been adjusted".

In other words this says that the plans and tables in Canoecraft have already been updated to reflect the actual form dimensions. No need to subtract anything for planking thickness.

I did send a note to BMB this afternoon and Joan will be confirming with Ted Moores in the morning. Ted will know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If needed, I could also reach out to Steve Killing who did the designs for BMB. He's a great guy.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Lee in Sweden

Post by Lee in Sweden »

Brilliant many thanks for the replies I look forward to hearing from Ted ( or those on his side) in the near future

Seems like it’s good to go though💪🏽💪🏽
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Aside note to this Lee, you will love the Freedom 17 .... beautiful boat. Also a very nice build, easy stripping and beautiful lines, on the water it is a dream.

Build on

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Here's an update from Steve Killing the designer of the Freedom 17 (and several other boats)::
Joan and Matt,
The full size plans are drawn to the inside of the planking – so the shape given is the shape for cutting the mold stations.

In the latest CanoeCraft the offsets for half breadths (stations and sheer), heights (buttocks and profile), are to the inside of the planking. The text is incorrect saying you need to subtract ¼”.

I just checked the Freedom 17 offsets in CanoeCraft and they are correct to the inside of the planking.
I believe this clearly answers our question.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com