Battle of the Bilge

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
compass

Battle of the Bilge

Post by compass »

Well, I finally got through the bilge planking on my first build- the Ranger. It was a bit stressful (pun intended) and I'm sure I will do better next time but I certainly have more gaps to fill than I was anticipating. I can't see any light shining through the gaps when I place a bright led on the inside of the canoe in a dark garage so I think/hope that things are somewhat manageable.
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=425
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=427
https://buildersforum.bearmountainboats ... iew&id=426
The middle photo shows one bad area of several. I am so relieved to now be starting one half of the "football". Part of me wants to do a feature on the canoe bottom and part of me says that I already have enough going on above the bilge and that the bottom should be toned down a bit.
I really like these Husky ratcheting straps and I am being very careful not to over tighten them. I did try the cam straps but I didn't care for them but it may have been the brand. Surprisingly, these Husky straps were half the price of the cam ones that I returned.
I am really enjoying seeing the canoe curves develop as I work my way towards the keel. They remind me of why I wanted to build in the first place- the shape is beautiful. Thanks for reading, George.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Re: Battle of the Bilge

Post by Cruiser »

Nice build so far, what are you using to clamp the strips down, I also like straps for the main hold to the forms, but I like the cams as they limit the pressure that can be applied. As you are discovering, you need to take the ideas that make sense to you and apply them as they "work" for you and your shop.

As far as the feature on the bottom, I feel sometimes builders get away from the idea that the strip canoe is beautiful on it's own and some of the features and accents.feature strips just get in the way of the natural grace and beauty of the canoe ... so now if I am adding anything (accent/feature) I first consider if it compliments the canoe itself or whether it adds something that screams for attention, there by detracting from the canoe overall. However, in the end it comes down to what works for you.

Brian
compass

Post by compass »

Thanks Brian, I just started using the straps because I was having a problem keeping the canoe on the forms. Right now sliding shims and wedges between the straps and hull seem to be enough to keep things snug to the stations (but not too tight). I threw a couple staples in at times but they didn't seem very effective to me. I'm keeping the strips together with lots of tape with "Jim" clamps on top of them and that seems to work pretty well but I learned that too late to apply to the bilge area.
I hear you about feature strips and accents perhaps diverting attention from the beauty of the canoe. I didn't think much about it when I was starting to build but as I progressed I started to question whether or not I was guilty of that. I think part of the reason for my design is that my cedar strips didn't have much variation in color and I was concerned that the finished canoe would look a bit "bland" if I didn't "spice" it up somehow. I think that I will try to finish planking with a more subtle look but I also want to use the strips I already have on hand.
Really appreciate the feedback! George.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Your hull looks Great George ! I like the strip combination. I always like a different colored strip, close to the 4" waterline, so another paddler can a check my trim Fore and Aft !

Glad you are finding ways to hold the strips to the hull !

Curious why so much tape (Green) to hold the blocks in place ? Is it there as a padding for the Spring clamps ! Just curious.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
compass

Post by compass »

Jim Dodd wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 pm Your hull looks Great George ! I like the strip combination. I always like a different colored strip, close to the 4" waterline, so another paddler can a check my trim Fore and Aft !

Glad you are finding ways to hold the strips to the hull !

Curious why so much tape (Green) to hold the blocks in place ? Is it there as a padding for the Spring clamps ! Just curious.

Jim
Thanks a lot Jim- that is reassuring. I'm glad you like the strip combination. I did it on the fly and really don't know what to expect when the hull is glassed and the trim is added. Those pieces of tape were originally used to hold the strips together but I found that they could be used over and over again for additional planks and wherever else needed. I felt that tape alone or the modified spring clamps by themselves didn't hold the more difficult strips to each other, but using the tape AND the spring clamps together seemed to do much better.