alternative to closing hull with "foot ball"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Oregon Paddler

alternative to closing hull with "foot ball"

Post by Oregon Paddler »

I'm still waiting for the lumber mill to cut my boards, and waking up early to go through the building process. I am building the 15' prospector Ranger purchased the plans from Noah's Marine I took a class several yrs ago about building cedar strip canoes and kayaks and contacted the instructor for some tips. One thing he suggested was not to continue planking from the sheer-line to the bottom creating the football pattern. He suggested than when I reach the point where the planks are no longer reaching the stem, to run a double beaded strip down the center of the hull and work your way down to meet the planks that have been placed.

My question is 1. have any of you seen this done, or done it your self & 2. If you have, do you have a photo and can you provide some insight into how the closing on each side works.

Thanks
Diego
Diego,
When I keep my gratitude a little higher than my expectations, it's usually a good day.
Patricks Dad

Re: alternative to closing hull with "foot ball"

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've never done this but it's been done many times and works just fine.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

My favorite method.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4647

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

I don't build canoes anymore, but I lurk here daily. My passion is now Adirondack guideboats, planked traditionally or stripped. I built a 15-foot Bob's Special several years ago with a bottom closure design I saw on the kayak forum. Rather than try to post a picture, I have a link to my web site (ancient!) that has an article and several pictures of the construction. Once you get to the page, clicking on any thumbnail will produce a much larger picture.

Go to http://michneboat.com, click on Builder's Corner, scroll down to A Different Football.

For more info on building guideboats, see https://www.amazon.com/Building-Adirond ... 519&sr=8-1

Enjoy!