How do you like your Freedom Solo?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
nodiak

How do you like your Freedom Solo?

Post by nodiak »

Hello all, I've been enjoying reading build threads here and on other forums for the last 2 months. Am interested in building a 15ish foot solo to be used exclusively on a deep water bay (well officially the first 300 yards are only 1-3' :) ).
For the time being have settled on the NWC Merlin - 1" bow, .5" stern rocker. Have had the plans reduced slightly to 15'4 x 29, similar in size to the Dagger Sojourn i currently have. It will be used for day trips and overnighters carrying a max of 225lbs, which is me plus gear. Switching from a royalex boat to a stiff cedar strip/fiberglass composite should provide much more glide and efficiency.
The other boat am considering is the Freedom Solo. Have read all the build threads i could find and am hoping some of you who have built or even just paddle one could chime in with your experiences. I'm interested in how it tracks, windage, and general handling characteristics. Any comparisons to Merlin or other boats would be a bonus.
The Freedom Solo seems possibly in the vein of other canoes that have gone (evolved?) to a more flared design with a higher wide point than the Merlins stronger tumblehome with a little lower wide point. Interesting how these might effect seaworthyness, an issue when the wind picks up.
It will take me a little time to get a work space together, so am on the last leg of pondering designs, i expect either will be great.
I have carpentry and furniture building background (closed my shop 2 years ago, semi-retired now) which only means am familiar with tools and shops. This will be a new experience, which looks fun and interesting! Do know enough to take it slow and tackle any problem situations as they arise, not speculate too much, and ask for help.
Also i realize the threads I've read are years old and you builders may not be in touch with forums currently, but worth a try to see if some Freedom Solo builders are still around!
Thanks, Don
Cruiser

Re: How do you like your Freedom Solo?

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Nodiak,

My first project was Freedom Solo, I like it so much that I went back after 2 other builds and did another one.

The boat is a joy on the water and mine have seen wind, rain and waves ... it just handles it all very well ... on top of that it is fast and a joy to paddle.

It is not a boat you would regret selecting.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

As a beginner, I'd stick with the Merlin.
The Freedom Solo is more of a challenge to build, and I don't find the shouldered tumblehome a significant advantage to paddle.
They look cool, but that's about it, from My perspective .

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

Brian, FS sounds like a good all arounder. What attracts me to it is it's similarity to the Sojourn i have now - flared with shouldered tumblehome. At 14'10 x 29" it's a good fit. Before i started searching on forums i thought a Sojourn with a stiff hull, and a bit more rocker would be a better boat. More glide and efficiency, maybe easier to maneuver. The Sojourn is royalex and pretty flexible (oil canning) on the bottom, has noticeable drag.
Tracking vs turning - everybody has to find their own compromise between the two. I've been enjoying learning correction strokes, so don't need a super hard tracker. Some degree of maneuverability makes it more fun too, usually there's something interesting floating around i want to head over to and check out. As i learn more about how to control a canoe i opt for a good tracking boat first and depend on me learning paddling techniques for exploring. Maybe the FS would be a good fit. I might go ahead and order the plans.
Don
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'll put in a pitch for the Freedom Solo as well. The chine is a bit tricky but after that, the hull is very easy to strip.

As fro the utility of the shouldered tumblehome, I think it is a fabulous asset. It narrows the beam at the gunwales so it is much easier to reach over with the paddle. If that hull had simply continued upward to a wider beam it would be harder to paddle.

That said, I did round over the sharp point at the chine in the original design. It made it easier to build and also less likely to take dings or cause knuckle bruises.

Definitely an excellent boat.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Don't get me wrong ! I'm a big fan of Tumblehome. Just not the Shouldered variety.
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
nodiak

Post by nodiak »

Thanks Randy.
How's the tracking? Doesn't sound like you need a lot of correction. Do you find it turns fairly easy? Ever lay it over much for sharper turns? I can just lay the Sojourn over a bit at this point, helpful. The water is cold here so taking baby steps in learning.
I won't ask more than that, realize I need to experience it.
As for the chine...I don't like the looks of it much and glad for your example on how to soften it. But function comes first and am real curious if the flared hull reacts similar to what I'm used to. I'm liking the idea of an evolutionary step from the Sojourn, more of a continuum that way...
Don