Redbird Forms Problem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
PHalsey

Redbird Forms Problem

Post by PHalsey »

I just put the finishing touches on the seventh row of strips on my Redbird and noticed a problem. It appears I screwed up both #5 forms a bit. Now that I’m stripping, I see the curve of the hull at this point is not fair. Held a scrap strip across the “dent” and measured. Looks like it’s 2-3 mm off fair. Two questions for the forum. 1) Should I attempt to fix it, or let it ride? and 2) If I decide to fix it, should I just pull the staples in that form and trust the curve will fair on its own, or should I try to shim the form?
Cruiser

Re: Redbird Forms Problem

Post by Cruiser »

Personally, at 7 strips in, I would just restart and salvage what you can .... fix the forms, check the fairness before restarting. If the form is out the strips will never settle down and you will always see that deformity.

With a little luck you can save the stems, if you separate the strips carefully at each stem, you may even be able to reattach after fixing the forms and getting them to lay fair. With out pics it is hard to tell ... but you are just starting the project with a lot of work and steps to go yet ... you need to complete each step as well as you can and build on that.

In my last build, I outlined a mistake and how I fixed it, one of the commenters quoted a carpenter he worked for, he said " It's only a mistake if you refuse to fix it" , that is always in the back of my mind when I mess up.

Brian