Seat reconfig questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Wenonahthing

Seat reconfig questions

Post by Wenonahthing »

I picked up a used 15' "solo Micmac" cedar strip that was very nicely built with the exception of a poorly placed seat. It is as far aft as could possibly be placed. So I want to remove that and place new seat more appropriately forward.
The inwhales are quite narrow and do not look like there is enough there to support by hangers so I want to try cleats. What is best method for attaching cleats to hull that is already finished? Any how to's out there?
sedges

Re: Seat reconfig questions

Post by sedges »

I have never used cleats, but I'll give an opinion anyway. Gluing is likely enough, but I would add mechanical fastening just to be sure. My go to thru-fasteners these days are copper nails(rivets) with roves. Screws would do as well I am sure. If you are unsure of the best place to mount your seat I suggest to put it and a portage yoke on rails so the seat is adjustable and the yoke can be clamped out of the way when paddling. I find the moveable seat is handy to trim the boat for different wind conditions.

Here is a picture.

https://photos.bwca.com/s/SEDGES-240317-134125.JPG
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

It really depends on the type of user you are ... do you care about weight? And a pic or 2 would help a lot so we can see what you are dealing with.

I moved into the cleat camp a couple of builds ago, I think it looks cleaner and gives a stronger platform.

Most of the way down this page on my last build, I have pics and discuss setting up the cleats I use, you may see something useful

https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... ild/page11

Brian
Wenonahthing

Post by Wenonahthing »

sedges wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:13 pm I have never used cleats, but I'll give an opinion anyway. Gluing is likely enough, but I would add mechanical fastening just to be sure. My go to thru-fasteners these days are copper nails(rivets) with roves. Screws would do as well I am sure. If you are unsure of the best place to mount your seat I suggest to put it and a portage yoke on rails so the seat is adjustable and the yoke can be clamped out of the way when paddling. I find the moveable seat is handy to trim the boat for different wind conditions.

Here is a picture.

https://photos.bwca.com/s/SEDGES-240317-134125.JPG
Love the versatility of your moveable design. Very clever. I'll keep that one in mind for future builds. While I am focusing on keeping solo, I have not ruled out going tandem on this boat since it does have enough capacity to do so. Definitely going with cleats but not securing thru hull as it would take away from the stapleless build that was used.
Wenonahthing

Post by Wenonahthing »

Thanks Brian. Excellent step by step in your post and it answers quite a few questions. Attached a few pics of my pending project. I did go back and measure the in wale and was surprised that I actually have 7/8". More than i initially thought. I think I was just eyeballing the out wale which is only half that.

Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.