Putting stencil on canoe

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Doug Brentnell

Putting stencil on canoe

Post by Doug Brentnell »

Hello I am building a canoe for my daughter and she has a design she would like to put on canoe. Has anyone done this making a stencil and fiberglassing over thanks for the our advise in advance
Stephen

Re: Putting stencil on canoe

Post by Stephen »

Hi Doug

I was hoping someone who had done this would answer for you, but since it's been a couple of days I'll pass on some (secondhand) information.

Nick Offerman did this several years ago and posted a build log. Starting on page 162 he describes transferring a photocopy to wood. If the image has writing in it it would need to be reversed for the photocopy. I think if it was me I would try the technique on some wood I didn't care about before I did it on a canoe. The build log is 300!! pages long so don't get too distracted ;)

https://app.box.com/s/fwkhd0r9uzo7r2wvxpu1de0ftpw63mmv

Stephen

edit: I would also experiment with removing the image from the wood I didn't care about to see how hard it would be to fix if I made a mistake on the actual canoe. That is, does sanding remove the toner/ink cleanly or grind it into the surface?
Doug Brentnell

Post by Doug Brentnell »

Thank you for advise I will check it out. I have heard but not verified that a image could be printed on overhead projector plastic then exposed onto canoe then fiberglassed over will have to try a sample. Thanks again I will back for advise and posts any results I try.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Doug,

I somehow missed this ... if you are going to try any of the general techniques you will find with google search, make sure you try them first ... do a complete run off boat FIRST.

I did this successfully using a thin crepe style paper and an ink jet printed sheet.
- taped the light paper to a regular sheet
- printed the image and let dry for a couple days
- trimmed excess from edges
- applied with initial coat of epoxy

Things to watch for:
- chose a paper substrate that will largely go transparent (you may have to visit an art store and try a few)
- most inks are soluble in epoxy, if you apply on a vertical surface, the epoxy flows and may make the image blur
- trim the edges to minimize any "halo" like effect from the paper

Like I stated, whatever you do decide on, do it completely off the boat first, duplicate your boat application site as near as you can, including the surface orientation ... I wish you good luck and please post your results good or bad, so I can learn a bit more about this

Thanks

Brian