New build.. first time !

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Preneau

New build.. first time !

Post by Preneau »

I’m starting a Nomad 17 build with my granddaughter helping all she can with her busy schedule… strongback is complete and mold stations are all set up… inner stems are clamped in place and we are getting ready to start shaping them… looking forward I am confused about one detail…

The first strip location… the book and video says to lay the first strip flush with the shear line on the molds and let them hang to a visually fair line at some point that will be above the shear line at the stem ends… I’m good with this concept understanding that the ends will be filled up with shorter strips…

My question is the center mold stations being flush with the shear line will leave small voids when the gunwhales are attached and trimmed tho the shear line… I might be complicating this but my options seem to be…

Mount the strip a bit lower to trim the cope edge off at the time of cutting the gunwhale…

Trim the gunwhale and first strip a bit above the shear line…

Looking for thoughts…
Jim Dodd

Re: New build.. first time !

Post by Jim Dodd »

It will make little difference either way.

Once the hull is glassed, everything will need to be trimmed to Fair.

So if you start your strips low, it will give you more room to play with, when it comes time to trim the Shear line to Fair.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just to be clear, you won't create any voids ....

The first strip runs pretty much parallel to the water along the sheer amidships, as you describe ... with the sheer slowly pulling away towards the ends. You will come back later and add filler strips between that first strip and the sheer, overlapping where the sheer will fall.

The sheer gets marked and drawn in after stripping is complete and you trim to the marked line .... no voids.

Mark the sheer points and use a strip and clamps to get the curve, draw in the shape

Then trim the strips to that marked shape and you get this (no voids)

Brian
Preneau

Post by Preneau »

Your craft looks wonderful… I understand that process… the voids I’m concerned with are the cope edge of the first couple of stations being right on the shear line leaving nothing to trim… the void will be in the cope edges between the strip and the gunwhales…
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Are you are talking about the bead portion of the strip ,at the shear. not being a flat shape ... such that if the gunnel is placed exactly on the sheer, there will be voids because the bead is there and not a flat/square edge surface?

Edit: reread your post, the short added strips should be applied far enough back that that doesn't happen ... however, planning on leaving those strips a bit proud as you apply the gunnels should handle any small voids that do exist

If that is the case, it is a non issue ... when the gunnel is applied, the edge of the strips are usually left a bit "proud" anyway and then get trimmed down flush with the gunnel. During your sanding/fiberglassing etc, the edges can get a bit beat up and thinned a bit ... so I usually plan on taking ~1/4" off as a matter of process to cleanup those edges

This is a link to my last build, go down a few pics to where the gunnel install starts and you can get an idea of what I am saying ...

https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... ild/page10

Brian
Preneau

Post by Preneau »

I think I’ve got it now… the pictures above look as if the are following a parallel line with the waterline keeping the strips straight… I’m toying with this idea… thoughts ?
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

There are basically two ways to start, first strip follows the waterline and when viewed on the water the strips run basically parallel to the water and give a more pleasing look (IMO) ... the other way is to run the strips along the sheer line, giving a curve to the strips (think banana) which is dependent on the design selected as to how large that curve gets. There is a 3rd method, which is to run a strip along the sheer and another along the waterline, creating a curved open area between them as they approach the bow and stern. Then filler strips are shaped and added to fill the space, this can look very nice, but requires a bit more skill and time to pull off.

Personally, I follow the advice in CanoeCraft allowing the first strip to basically follow the water line for 4-5 forms either side of middle, then let the strips fall to the end, aligning at each end.

Brian