epoxying hull before fiberglassing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
george w

epoxying hull before fiberglassing

Post by george w »

pick up a used cedar strip canoe with gunnels rotted and also the front and back stems are bad.No big deal steamed up new ones the problem is the fiberglass was not really sticking to he hull to the point you can peel it off witch i did. Problem is in spot it did kinda held put pulled some of the fibers of the strip with it making the surface rough even after sanding. Do you pre epoxy the hull and sand down smooth or just the bad spots, pre epoxying will fix the lose fibers and fill the imperfections. Then sand with 100 grit? and fiberglass as normal ?? Any thought will be greatly help .
Jim Dodd

Re: epoxying hull before fiberglassing

Post by Jim Dodd »

It just so happens while replacing the glass, on the outside of a friends canoe ( Polyester resin) I had the same problem !

I pulled off a divot, maybe an 1/8" deep.
After I had all the old glass off, I found about six spots that needed filling.

The deepest, I wetted six patches of scrap cloth, and laid them in the divot. After the epoxy had cured over night, I SCRAPED the patches, until they were Fair.
Laid the main layer over the hull, and glassed. The worst divot is visible, but not terrible .

Here's a pic.Image
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!