16' Prospector Modifications?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff_001

16' Prospector Modifications?

Post by Jeff_001 »

Greetings,

First post so I hope this is in the correct area. I'm starting a build on a 16' Prospector and currently setting up the mold stations. It seems that the build as designed will have a % of strips that are an inch or two longer than 16'. I have access to some nice/reasonably priced 16' WRC. My dilemma is, do I scarf a % or shorten the design by 2-3 inches? This is my first canoe, so my inclination is to do it by the book but just wondering if I would create a headache by shortening it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Patricks Dad

Re: 16' Prospector Modifications?

Post by Patricks Dad »

I would not shorten it. I'd either scarf a few planks or find longer material.
The first build I did, I shortened it by 6" by making the station spacing a bit shorter to accommodate my smaller work space... It wasn't the end of the world but I've always wished I had built the full length boat.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I agree with Randy ! I wouldn't shorten it !

The canoe I'm building now is 15' 6" and its all built with 8 ' strips.
I simply butt join them on the forms with a 2" spring clamp, and a couple of scraps of wood, that are covered with tape to prevent sticking. If you bead and cove your strips ? This works great ! Just be sure to make the joints in low stress areas, and stagger them.

Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jeff_001

Post by Jeff_001 »

All,

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. Sounds like the shortened version may cause me some heartburn down the road. Joints it is!