Fiber glass horrors

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jeromefloats

Fiber glass horrors

Post by jeromefloats »

So i did the glass layup on my prospector a few days ago, and what a shit show it was. Basically I lost my cool when I couldn’t work a few wrinkles out and this cascaded into panicked, haphazard work. I really should have had an additional helper to do just mixing while 2 people applied. All in all, the finished product isn’t glaringly “blotchy”. There’s visible silver fleck but only one glaringly “chicken wire” patch I’ll hafta live with. As for the filler coats? What gives!? I’ve applied so many coats and still see lumps from the glass weave in spots!! I did try going “heavy” with some coats but this translated into nasty runs/lumps after the fact even when I walk thru and worked them out initially!! And this is with the “gold standard” west 105/207. I loved every moment of this untill this point. My hull is very fair and symmetrical (no small feat for lofting a first build) and I’m really proud of the pattern. But I’m so discouraged after this I’m afraid to ever try again. Any other first glassing pitfalls? I’d just rather not feel alone about it.
Cruiser

Re: Fiber glass horrors

Post by Cruiser »

I did a little research before my first build and paid attention to the "helper" recommendation and really didn't have any issues.

Did you watch any of the Bear Mountain Build series where they cover fiberglassing)? They are pretty good and give you the exact idea of what;s coming and how to proceed.

As far as your comment of working out runs at application, but then they reappear later. That is normal, the epoxy flows (albeit slower) for a couple of hours after it kicks. So if you went heavy, smoothed and there was any extra, it flows ... too heavy and you get runs and bumps.

Brian
jeromefloats

Post by jeromefloats »

It’s not a lost cause by any means. There’s some silver fleck on it and only one bad patch. Not glaringly blotchy or anything. Also, what’s the best way to proceed with sanding? Do I leave it on the forms for outside sanding? I wanna get to work on the inside but flipping it back upside down to do the outer hill seems like a hassle
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Leave it on the forms for sanding the outside.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com