planking material

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Primal

planking material

Post by Primal »

I have been wanting to build a strip canoe for awhile now. But the price of red cedar at 8 dollars is a little more than I am willing to pay. Can anyone give tips on buying material in michigan. And any thoughts on mahogany for planking I have a source for it at 5 dollars a board ft..
Doug

Post by Doug »

Look into " White Cedar". Its a domestic trees in Michigan and a fraction of the cost. Probably won't be able to find many clear boards, though. It's a fairly narlly tree.

But I have heard that it works.
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Dave B.

Post by Dave B. »

I'm gonna call my dad in Traverse City to see what he can find up there and my brother in law in Midland. He's a contractor there so he should have some contacts.
I'm from Michigan, living in South Carolina. I can get Eastern Red Cedar for 1.20 a BF, but so far I have only 9, 8and 6 ft clear strips due to knots. Real bunch of reds and purples in it, I just wish I could get (1) 1x6x19 for my Nomad project for the starter strips.

I was given a stack of cherry today 1x6 and 1x8 6 and 7 ft rough sawn from a saw mill down here. Apparently the owner left the logs, got em cut and could never be contacted.
I got 26 boards before the rain started and left around 30 that I'll pick up next week.
He will be getting a Sprial Ham for Christmas!

I went to Lowes and picked up a 1x4x12 Western Red Cedar yesterday for $6.88 that I was going to rip, then glue together for length, but decided not to as the wood is more brown than the Eastern. Have you tried them? I figure it would cost around $100.00 for 1X6X12 WRC from Lowes for 60 board foot. (priced it tonight)

Dave
Michigander at Heart
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Fingerle Lumber Co. in Ann Arbor has an excellent supple of WRC. I've ordered 16 and 17 foot boards and I think they have some even longer. Joe Eadie is the one to talk to at 1-800-365-7701. In Traverse City try Rare Earth Lumber. I don't have a number for them but they do have a web site. Never bought from them but I understand they carry alot of marine lumber.
Primal

Post by Primal »

wel thanks for the info I"ll look into the leads that you all gave me. I do get up to traveres city a few time a year and planning a steelhead trip this spring. Nobody has replied on the african mahogany? I think this would at least be a nice contrast strip. I have thoght about this cedar decking at home depot but there seems to be to many knots in it. Well happy thanks giving and I"ll talk to you latter.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

John Michne built a Wee Lassie II using mahogany but I am not sure if it is the same variety you have. You can see John's boat at: http://www.michneboat.com/ then click on "Builders Corner" then click on "Building the Wee Lassie II". I used a few strips of mahogany in my shortened version of the Wee Lassie and all of my strips were cut at 3/16" thickness. I also used it for the gunwales.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I'm using honduran mahogany for the stems, transom and portions of the hull on my current project. Works and looks really nice! There is a big difference between african, honduran and other mahoganies. Unless you want contrast between the different types, make sure you go with one type or another...Juneaudave
Rodney

planking material

Post by Rodney »

I built my Wee Lassie out of an old fence . When it was replaced I kept the boards and riped them. Some were rotted at the ends and othere were of course only 6 feet. it was all clear red ceda which I guess was more abundant back then.

I am currently building a Freedom 17 from a fence my neighbor replaced. I'll have a lot left over and am starting to think of a small sailboat like the Small from last month's Wooden boat Magazene.

There's probally a lot of good Cedar fencing out there that just gets thrown away. If I needed more I'd contact a fence company-Rod
Lin

Post by Lin »

Does anyone know what wood Phil Green is using on the Wood Song Canoe displayed on his web site? Is it a Mahogany and does it have a stain?

Lin
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You could try contacting Phil through the "private message" service offered on this forum. At the top of this page, click on "Memberlist" then go to page 7 of the memberlist. You will find Phil on that page. Click on the box labelled "PM" and you can send him a private message through this forum.