Preferred sander ?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik, Belgium

Preferred sander ?

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I saw an add for a ROS from Festool and I must say I quite like the tool. I 'm planning going to see one tomorrow. I 'd like to hear any good or bad things about the Festool ROS. Possible diameters are 125 or 150, I think 125 would be OK. for example the ES 125 EQ-Plus.

Or maybe you prefer another brand more then Festool ? I 'd like to hear that too !

Erik, Belgium.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Erik, I can't comment directly on the Festool ROS except to say that I have read a lot of good comments concerning their products in general. I find that having variable speed on a ROS helps me to achieve a better finish and faster than with my older non-variable speed ROS. I also like to be able to connect my ROS to my shopvac to really cut down on the dust.
Kurt Loup

sander

Post by Kurt Loup »

I have both the Festool 125 and the Ridgid 6" sander that is apparently made by Metabo. I like the Ridgid better. It is quieter and less vibration than the Festool. I use my Jet dust collector with the Festool hose. The Festool hose will fit both the Festool and Ridgid sanders without the need for an attachement. The Festool hose also happens to fit my Porter Cable 21" belt sander and my Dewalt biscuit jointer. Dust collection is great with both sanders. I suspect it would be better with a Festool or Fein vac, but I doubt I could tell any differnce. Since I have both, I'd use the Festool on the interior due to the smaller radius sanding pad and the Ridgid on the exterior. The Festool is easy to use with one hand and the Ridgid gets tiring with one hand due to weight. This isn't a problem on flat surfaces. Since you are in Belgium, not sure if you have access to the Ridgid sold by Home Depot. Home Depot does have a web page though. The Ridgid is cheaper than the Metabo $200 in the US. Actually got it for about $118 when HD had a 20% off hand tool sale. Hope this helps.

Kurt
Doug

Post by Doug »

I've had my old B&D 1/4 sheet sander for almost 20 years now, it will not die.
It's sand paper pad is starting to wear out, but it still kicks up a lot of dust, literally.

I've be thinking of getting a new one, primarily, in order to get a handle on the dust situation.

Not convinced that the random orbital sander (ROS) is the one for me.
I believe that 1/4 sheet sanders are less money too "buy" and "operate".
Both have well built models out there.
I realize that ROS are the ones most pushed by retailers and are currently in fashion.
But ....I'm not convinced that you can notice a (big) difference in the end (sanded) product.

Do I have it all wrong?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM

sander

Post by Guest »

Doug,

In my experience, there is no comparison between a ROS and a 1/4 sheet sander. I have a 1/4 sheet Porter Cable that sits unused. I believe my ROS remove material at least 2 x as fast as a 1/4 sheet sander and leaves as good or better finish. I'm sure I could sand a boat with my 1/4 sheet sander, but I hate sanding. The ROS is much faster and I believe the dust collection is better. Do you need expensive ROS? Not at all. I've borrowed my friend's 5" Porter Cable that is about $50-60 and it works great. I may be wrong, but I believe that the hook and loop sandpaper I buy for my ROS, although more expensive, last much longer than sheets I cut for my 1/4 sheet sander. In the long run, I think cost of sandpaper is a toss up.

Kurt
Michel vd Hoven

Post by Michel vd Hoven »

Erik,

Perhaps usefull to give a look at the Festool ROTEX RO 150 E-Plus as well.
This machine combines 3 in one: course sanding, fine sanding and polishing.
... Price is the only downside of this profecional tool...

I'm considering to buy this machine for my new to build Osprey next spring.

see website: http://www.festool.nl

Post by Guest »

I use both a Dewalt ROS and a newer Dewalt 1/4 sheet. I like the ROS, but don't discount the newer 1/4 sheet sanders!!! They do a real nice job finishing, like on the final pass on the epoxy where you want to be carefull to not it the glass, and on edges like the giunnels where the ROS can get agressive!!!
Rod Koozmin

Post by Rod Koozmin »

Eric I'm truly amazed at the capacity of my Porter Cable random orbatal 6 inch. Just this week I bought a dust kit through a big US book seller at a great price(momentarily forget the name). It was GREAT! Not even a sneeze. Sorry to hear about the job.

I wanted to ask Canadians if they like two of my favorite musicians, Gordon Lightfoot and the late Great Stan Rogers but I realize that would be off subject.-Rod
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

While not one of the noted possible choices, I have really enjoyed my DeWalt variable speed R/O and would certainly reccomend it to others. I've also had good experiences with every Porter Cable product that I've tried and until that changes, I'll not hesitate to buy their products by name alone.

SevenTenths
Doug

Post by Doug »

Palm Sanders

I've been told that ROS can gouge the (soft) wood if they are not centered / balanced properly?
How are they on gunwales? Concave surfaces?
Is there one that is better for dust suppresion (ROS vs. 1/4 sheet)?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

I'm with Rod and Seven. I have a 5 inch and 6 inch Porter Cable. The 6 inch came as a kit with a long hose which also fits the dust port on my 5 inch. I would rate durability, cost, and dust collection capability all excellent.