unfinnished boat damage over winter

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bob Ott

unfinnished boat damage over winter

Post by Bob Ott »

I am currently ready to start finishing my boat ie. cutting the sheer line and fibre glassing. I did an inspection of it today and over the winter some of the cedar strips have split. some so bad that you can push on the sides and see light through. Is there anyway I can repair this. Ive put so much work/time/money into it to date and am very upset. Is their any way I can repair this and keep the hull integrity or do I have to take all of the damaged cedar out and start over? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Ouch!!! The strength of hull comes mainly from the fiberglass and epoxy, and they will fill the cracks....Couple of questions...is the hull still on the molds and does the hull retain it's shape?
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Sorry to hear that Bob,
John Michne has a good section on his builder's corner about fixing cracks.
http://www.michneboat.com
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Bob Ott

cracks

Post by Bob Ott »

Juneaudave wrote:Ouch!!! The strength of hull comes mainly from the fiberglass and epoxy, and they will fill the cracks....Couple of questions...is the hull still on the molds and does the hull retain it's shape?
Thanks for your quick reply Ive been pretty worried about it.

The boat is still on the molds and the hull is reataining its shape. If I expoy it with wood dust will that fix it up?
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I think you'll be just fine. Just review the filling the cracks sections of Canoecraft (pg 141) and John Michne's builders site and you shouldn't have any troubles.
Bob Ott

Thanks

Post by Bob Ott »

Juneaudave wrote:I think you'll be just fine. Just review the filling the cracks sections of Canoecraft (pg 141) and John Michne's builders site and you shouldn't have any troubles.

Thanks for your help Juneaudave after getting over the initial shock I took another close look at it I might get away with it. Im crossing my fingures.

Bob