Stongback Length

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
EDinTX

Stongback Length

Post by EDinTX »

I am a first time canoe builder. First build will be the 16' Prospector. I have read the the strongback should be at long as the canoe. Also that the strongback can be shorter than the canoe to make the end of the stem mold more accessable. In the case of Bob's Special (at 15' / 180") the strongback measurement is (14.16' / 170"). What is the preferred length. Apologies for a beginner question and I did try and search the forum. Thanks
Cruiser

Re: Stongback Length

Post by Cruiser »

Personally, I just built the 16' version, straight out of CanoeCraft.

You don't really size the strongback to the canoe, if you can place the forms, you can build the canoe. The canoe can be shorter than the strongback or longer, the limit is only with longer and that is because you have to have real estate to mount the forms. So the 16' version will do for ~18' through to anything smaller. Just realize that if the canoe is shorter than the strongback, you need to make sure the forms are raised off the deck enough to clear the bow and stern upsweeps that most canoes have (and in particular the higher ones on your Prospector).

I did a detailed build blog on my last canoe, you may find some useful information there, the link is : https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/l ... ld.105054/

This write up was done just for this reason, to help new folks ....

Brian
HarryinSC

Re: Stongback Length

Post by HarryinSC »

I agree that it’s not the most precise thing in the world. If all of the molds fit on the strongback, it will work. However, I built mine to the length of my 15’ canoe, and I found myself wishing it was a few inches shorter on each end so the stems could overhang. It was a little tricky getting the spokeshave and plane into the lower areas of the stem when shaping them.