When stripping the Football

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Jim Dodd

When stripping the Football

Post by Jim Dodd »

It took me several years of building strip canoes, before I started tilting the canoe and strongback.

This wasn't my Idea, as while visiting Martin Van's canoe shop, in Ogalea (Spl) Wisconsin.
I took note of his rotating strongback. His reason at the time, was to keep the glue he was using, from running out of the coves. Martin built the best strip canoes I had ever seen, and had the process down pat !

Several years later I played with tilting my strongbacks, to accomplish the same effect !

Not only does tilting the strongback keep the glue in the coves ? It makes it easier to fit the strips, and sand the hull !
I think if you try this ? It will work for you !

I clamp two legs made from 2x4 scrap, to the forms with simple C-clamps ! Then simply tilt .
It's scary as you have adjust them to get a suitable angle. t would be good to have a helping hand when you do this ! I do by myself with out any incident so far !

Now a few pics.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Kliff

Re: When stripping the Football

Post by Kliff »

I really like that tipping the strongback. I've been planning to incorporate a tipping mechanism before my next build. Looking at that method, I realize I was over thinking and over complicating it. I was going to make it so the whole strongback support has an adjustable pivot. I was worried about rigidity and stability. Your way seems to work nicely.
Jim Dodd

Re: When stripping the Football

Post by Jim Dodd »

The first time I did this ?
I just used one stand. I was nervous !

The second stand, makes it work !
I'd recommend a Helper, when tipping the strongback, especially the first time !

I find tipping makes a lot of things easier ! Fitting strips, sanding, and cutting the center line.

By the way, your Prospector looks great !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!