Which epoxy should I choose

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
lodam

Which epoxy should I choose

Post by lodam »

I’ve heard mostly of West Systems, MAS, and System Three. Most people recommend West Systems but I believe you need to recoat in 3-5 hours for a true chemical adhesion. That seems like a LONG day of epoxy work. In Canoecraft by Ted Moores, he talks about application with a brush and then a squeegee. Bear Mountain swears by West Systems but then I read on the Laughing Loon site (https://laughingloon.com/epoxy.html) that they recommend System Three epoxy and using a roller. I will admit that the longer allowable time between coats (72 hours) using System Three is very attractive but Laughing Loon also recommends heating your shop to 85 degrees and then applying the epoxy while the temperature drops so that bubbles are minimized/eliminated because the dropping temp will promote ingassing rather than outgassing. Makes send to me but yikes, 85 degrees is HOT.

Bottom line: I’m a first time builder. Confident I can do this as I’ve been making custom furniture for 35 years. But the plethora of epoxy information keeps me guessing and I’m somewhat paralyzed as to which epoxy and application method I should use.
Jim Dodd

Re: Which epoxy should I choose

Post by Jim Dodd »

Sorry for the late reply.
There are so many different choices to be made, when building a canoe !
I consider 85 F a near perfect temp to work with epoxy.

If this is your first time ? Be sure to have at least one helper ! Some one with epoxy experience would be best !
Resin choice is one choice. Application method another !
I use the roller method, as it, doesn't leave Squeege marks.
It's also quicker, and it leaves a pretty even coating.
I also like applying fill coats, while the previous coat is still tacky. Yes you get the clearest and strongest bond.

So I wet the cloth with a roller, being careful not to over work the resin ! I let it cure at least 6 hrs. Then I apply fill coats.

Yes I'm up into the wee hours of the morning with the final coats.
That method has given me the best results !

I hope that helps you make choices !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!