Question for Dean in Eureka about Tear Drop Trailers

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mtpocket

Question for Dean in Eureka about Tear Drop Trailers

Post by mtpocket »

Dean,

I have been looking at the Tear Drop Trailer Forum that you are involved in. I am amazed at all the neat ideas put to work in those trailers. I almost got the bug to build one myself. If I didn't already own a 5th wheel, I probably would. I especially liked one I saw with a canoe rack. That's something I won't be able to do with my camper because it would be way too tall and would hit every over pass I drive under.

Have you given any thought to using cedar strip/epoxy on the exterior when you build one?
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

MT,
I've pretty much went full circle on my considerations as to what materials and construction methods.
As of now... I'm going to be using cedar strip construction on my sides with a stainless steel skinned roof. To haul my canoe, I'm going build a detachable front and rear rack. The rear rack will plug into a receiver hitch on the frame of the trailer.
I've changed my design quite few times.
At first, I didn't like the idea of building a trailer that I couldn't stand up in, but that changed as the "bug" took hold. Originally, I was going to go with a pop-up style. To me, the beauty of a teardrop trailer is having the rear hatch that pops open to reveal your outdoor kitchen.
My current design will have a dinette with a dropped foot well, so my kids and I will be able to do more than just sleep inside of it. The dinette will convert into a full size queen bed, 60" x 80". I'll have a door on each side of the trailer and one door will exit into a tarped privacy enclosure for showering, changing clothes and a porta-pottie when those facilities are not available..
The teardrop thing is sort of a minimalist approach, but a step up from tent camping.
What hooked me, was not having to sleep on the ground anymore and having an instant galley by just opening a hatch.
I'll have more than plenty of cedar strips left over from my rebird project also.
(Now all I gotta fiqure out is how to bake that pig underground Hawaiian style)
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Dean,

I did see one trailer with cedar strips on top/front/back. It is one of the most beautiful in my opinion. Those with stainless and aluminium are pretty cool also, but I am partial to wood. I guess the stripping should be quick and easy on the sides since there isn't any curvature, right? I keep thinking about the canoe rack. Maybe I can convince my wife to sell the big camper and let me build one of these.
Are you designing your own trailer or enlisting help from others? Regardless, make sure you install some of that beautiful stained glass you make in the cabinet doors. For me the designing process is most of the fun. I use Autocad Lite quite often and always enjoy playing with different ideas before actually getting out my tools. It also allows me to do overlays much easier, which helps eliminate mistakes before they happen.
As for the hog roast in the basement, I have no helpful information. I went to Oahu in 1980 and came back in 1981 and never got to attend a luau so I am not sure how they do it. (Clarificationon dates: Dec. 27,80-Jan. 3,81) Usually when I tell someone I went one year and came back the next, they ask what I did that whole time. Well in short, the answer is scuba diving til I dropped.
Dean in Eureka, CA

That's Steve's trailer. He's a boat builder also. Glen showed me his website and that's how I got hooked up with T&TTT.
I like the idea of stainless on the roof for weather protection and heat build up reduction.
I'm planning on doing some trick inlay work with the stripping. Steve used plywood on his sides and did a simple accent stripe. Have you seen the Lil' Diner project that he's doing for Mike? (The website owner)
He's still using plywood, but he's splicing contrasting sheets together to get a nice design.
I haven't decided yet on my interior glass accents, but there will be some sort of statined glass and or mirror used.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I did see the Lil' Diner. Nice!!! I haven't spliced any plywood together like that but it's a neat idea. I have done several inlays using different woods, ivory, silver and gold. Until a few years ago, I spent most of my spare time building Grandfather clocks. I haven't built one since I bought a digital camera so it's mostly just a memory now. I wish I had taken some pictures. Maybe I could build another and hire you to do a stained glass for the front.

Welcome aboard as Co-Admistrator
Dean in Eureka, CA

Clock Builder, Eh?
Pretty impressive!!!
I've never built a clock, but I've been accused of telling someone how to build one, when asked what time it is, a few times. :lol:

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

You want impressive? Let me introduce you to a guy I chat with online. He makes stained glass, cedar strip canoes, fishing rods, plans to build a camper and is now learning a new language. He also Co-administrates two forums. I can't do but one of those listed and the verdict is still out on that one.

By the way, how's the toe? It will quit hurting when the pain goes away.
Dean in Eureka, CA

It's healing up just fine.
That guy sound like quite the blow hard! :lol:

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Sounds like he really knows his stuff, you should see his work.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Oh Yeah... I know who your taklking about.
The guy with the braided rope accent stripe, right?
Hmmm... I wonder if he ever decided on a name for his Redbird yet.

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Wrong!!

No I know that guy pretty well also and he is a wanabe. That's why he came to this forum looking for answers. He can't even figure out what to name his little wood boat by himself. :?

I did talk to my wife some more about becoming a Tearjerker. She is not at all interested in selling the camper we have. She likes showers once in a while, go figure. The good news is that she is not against the idea of having two campers. Maybe I won't have to surrender the garage space after all. Once again, she reminded me how I got my nickname "mtpocket". :embarassed
Last edited by mtpocket on Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich in the Ozarks

Post by Rich in the Ozarks »

Where is this teardrop website? I am most interested. Have been thinking about building a woodstrip teardrop for a few months now. Have you seen the T@B trailer? It isn't that large but you can stand up in it. Very expensive though.
http://www.tab-rv.com /
If that doesn't work google T@B
Thanks
Rich
Glen Smith

Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Rich, this is the link to the site that Dean was mentionning: http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php .
Beware, I think building those trailers can be as addictive as boat building :shock:
Joe

Teardrop trailer and wood strips

Post by Joe »

Just happened to find this forum today and the teardrop trailer really caught my eye.

After building a woodstrip canoe a few years back, my Dad and I had the bug. After seeing a teardrop trailer at an auto show, I fell in love with the simple idea of having everything in one compact package.

Well, I convinced my Dad that we could build one out of wood strips, cloth and epoxy like the canoe. After a little more than two years we have it finished. It is contoured at the front and rear like a boatail and at the top. We have only had it out once so far as we finished it late last year. but it works well and pulls down the road real nice.

I have documented everything with photos, and have the forms and my original plans, but have not had time to do anything with a website yet.

Just thought you might be interseted to see what we did.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Joe,
Post a picture, or tell me where to go to see a picture... Please, Please, Please!!!