INSIDE STEM LAMINATION ?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
DDEAK

INSIDE STEM LAMINATION ?

Post by DDEAK »

Hello,
Building a Resolute 16'6".
I've laminated some oak strips for the inside stems. I only used carpenters glue not epoxy to laminate the oak strips together. Will carpenters glue be sufficient? It will be covered with fiberglass and epoxy right?

DDEAK
KenC

Post by KenC »

I used pine with carpenters glue for my inner stems and ash with carpenters glue for the outer stems (an Endeavour). I've had no problems. The outer stems are covered with epoxy and three layers of glass -- the inner stems are liberally coated with epoxy, but not glass. When I trimmed the glass in the ends, I cut a slit so that the glass came up the sides of the inner stem, but didn't drape over it.

If you used red oak, you're probably better off with carpenters glue for the laminations anyway. Epoxy apparently isn't very compatible with red oak (as an adhesive). Something about the oily nature of the wood. I have no first-hand experience with epoxy & oak -- maybe someone else will chime in with more info.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The inside surface of the inner stems isn't usually covered with fiberglass, just epoxy as Ken mentionned. I would recommend washing the inside surface of these pieces with lacquer thinner or acetone just a few minutes before applying the epoxy to increase the chances of good adhesion.
Doug

Post by Doug »

DDEAK
Will you be covering the inner stem with epoxy and fiberglass?
If the (ordinary carpenters) wood glue is exposed to water it will de-laminate.

Nothing you cannot fix,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

My $.02

You will be buying the epoxy anyway. So buy it sooner rather than latter and start gaining experience in mixing and using epoxy while laminating your stems. I have come to really :D like epxoy. I have to quit using the stuff on little projects around the house, less I have none forn the glassing of my canoe. :?

INSIDE STEMS ?

Post by Guest »

Thank you KEN, GLEN AND DOUG for your input regarding my epoxy/glue question.