last few strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jim in Texas

last few strips

Post by jim in Texas »

What am I doing wrong ?the fourth from the last stip I can not get it in place with out breaking it .I can get one end in place but I can not get the other end in and the bead slipped it the cove without breaking it .Is there a trick to doing this ? Thanks for any information you can give me on this.r
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Sounds frustrating...but I don't think you are necessarily doing anything wrong!!! My guess is your wood is just brittle, the grain doesn't run true, or you're trying too hard. A couple of thoughts.... the last few strips including the 4th. to the last are really tight and can be a pain to anyone. You're doing it right and I think you should give it one more try before taking drastic action. First...cut and fit a new strip. Then sit back, have a beer, meditate with the canoe-building Gods, and relax. After that, you can then go ahead like you were doing, fit one end in, and gently bend the strip enough to slip the other end in. Just keep in mind that It's real easy to bugger up the cove and/or break the strip so you need to be careful. I think you will have success...Juneaudave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ditto on Juneaudave's advice. The key is good wood with a tight and straight grain. Bend the strip slowly and just enough for it to slip into place.
Ed Houston

Post by Ed Houston »

Jim are you anywhere near Seabrook Texas? south east Houston near Clearlake.

If so you could come and look at my boat, I had a simular problem with the third to last strip and made a small 45 deg scarf joint and fitted it in two peices the result looks very good.

If your interested in looking at my boat give me a call 281-474-2369.

Ed