Lightweight Gunwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Moonman

Lightweight Gunwales

Post by Moonman »

Hi all. I am proceeding to the point where I'll be making the gunwales on my Winisk. I've been reading all about some of the different lightweight options people have used - such as 'Light Bob's' methods posted a while ago on the old forum.

At this point I have decided to make laminated gunwales of the following dimensions (I'll be mounting seats directly to the hull, not hanging them from the gunwales). I would appreciate any comments anyone may have. Thanks, Moonman.

Inner Gunwale

Sitka and Cherry - 1" high x 1/2" wide sitka with cherry laminated to the outside, 1" high by 1/8" wide.

Outer Gunwale

Sitka and Cherry - 5/8" high x 1/2" wide Sitka with cherry laminated to the outside, 5/8" high by 1/8" wide.

Post by Guest »

Moonman,

How much lighter will your laminated gunwhales be?

I see the cherry laminate will protect the sides of the softer sitka gunwhales. Do you expect you will ever have the canoe resting upside down on rough rocky ground? If so the tops of the sitka part of the gunwhales will be exposed to dings/damage. I find my soft sitka gunwhales are tough enough for rubbing up against wooden docks and other boats but its bumping rocks on the ground that causes the most damage.

I hope you post pics when you are done.

Good luck!
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I'm doing a Winisk as well, and was thinking about lighter gunwales as well.
So, I'd be thankfull if you did post some pics and share us your experiences.

I was thinking of laminating ash and cedar for the seats and thwarts as well.
Would that be an option ?
Moonman

Lightweight Gunwales - Weight

Post by Moonman »

Each inner gunwale would weigh 2.138 lbs and each outer gunwale would weigh 1.36 lbs. Therefore total weight per complete gunwale per side of canoe would be 3.49lbs.

For a total of 6.98 lbs. Plus a little for the epoxy glue.

Built in ash to the same specs gives you 9.9 lbs. A lot of work for only 3 pounds weight savings but its part of the overall weight reducing effort and as I do a lot of portaging I know there is a huge difference between 50 and 55-58 pounds. If I eliminate the Cherry and have both inner and outer gunwales in Sitka at 5/8" x 1/2" they would come in at about 4.06 lbs. I'll probably come in somewhere between these two extremes.

Moonman