Sanding fiberglass/epoxy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik

Sanding fiberglass/epoxy

Post by Erik »

Hello all,

I had previously thought that i had some problems with my fiberglassing, although now, i am thinking that what i had was normal... maybe!? :thinking

I have some good pictures that i could email to someone to look at for me. unfortunatly i dont have any web space to put them on... is there any other way to post them for today?

what i have is what i think ted moors referes to as the profile of the cloth still showing in my top surface, sanding appears to smooth the surface, but i wanted to ask and get advice rather than sanding into any cloth.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You can email them to me if you want.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Erik, here are the pics you sent me but resized. It looks like the epoxy has been applied quite thickly but roughly. There doesn't seem to be any bubbles or floating glass. You should be able to sand without any fears. However, if you oversand, you might hit the glass in some places. The usual places are along the keel-line, the sheer and near the stems. Follow Ted's instructions and you should do fine.

If you have been sanding with 80 grit, it looks like it might be time to switch to 120 grit. All other comments and suggestions are welcome.
Erik

Post by Erik »

what do you look for to avoid hitting the cloth?

I did that sanding with a sanding block and 320 grit paper. should i go ahead and use 80 grit with a random orbital sander?

it has 4 coats of epoxy over the glass.

Thanks a million Glen, by the way!!!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Erik, as a comparison, I am posting a closeup picture of one of my boats showing what the glass/epoxy looks like. This is 6oz cloth with a wetout coat and two fill coats of epoxy. No sanding and/or varnishing has been done. This is just the epoxy surface as it appears after application. You can see the reflection of the ceiling tiles and lightbulb. This was my fifth boat.
Last edited by Glen Smith on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik

Post by Erik »

What you show in that picture is what i was expecting when finished glassing. this is why i was freaking out so bad last week end!
:crying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Erik, I did mention that it was my fifth boat. My first one looked a lot like yours. This stuff takes practice. Just be careful when sanding and keep the sander moving at all times. If there is one spot (or more) where you feel extra sanding is required, do it by hand instead of leaning the sander into it. If you remove less than the ideal amount of epoxy, you will have a slightly heavier boat. But if you sand into the cloth then add more epoxy to cover it up, you will have a slighly heavier boat anyway.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have already gone around and done all of the high spots. so now i will do the regular sanding uniform and even. i guess when sanding i will just be carfull not to see white cloth?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That's right, attempt to sand evenly so you obtain a smooth surface and just remove the high spots. If you have applied enough epoxy you should be able to do this without hitting the cloth. Stop and clean/inspect the surface often. Some builders do the rough sanding with 120 grit paper then for the finer sanding they switch to wet sanding but either method will cut into the glass if you oversand. Take your time and don't be overstressed by this procedure.
Erik

Post by Erik »

last question, what is the best way to trim up all of the excess glass at the ends and sheerline? i have trimmed everything up with a utility knife, to within a half inch to and inch.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

To trim the excess glass I have used a very sharp chisel and I have used a box-cutter knife (retractable blade type). The box-cutter knife requires more careful control. The chisel is more predictable. Trim it close to the wood then use some 120 grit paper on a wood block to clean it up.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I used a utility knife to trim along the sheerline. It worked OK. When trimming along the inside stem after glassing the inside, I found that a sharp chisel worked great (wish I had thought of that before trimming along the sheerline. The (sharp) chisel is a marvelous tool!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com