Bubbles on third coat of varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug/N.Alberta

Bubbles on third coat of varnish

Post by Doug/N.Alberta »

Hi guys, it's been awhile. I have my Prospector pretty well finished and i'm amazed how good it looks and what a person can accomplish. I think i buikt more than just a canoe,My question is this i put on two coats of varnish and it just went beautiful and on the third coat i had very small bubbles. ????? We have had a lot of rain and i think that maybe the humidity in the air and on the surface was too damp. Anybody have this problem< and i guess the cure is sanding it off after it gets rock hard and re-applying. Also a tip for those who had to scrounge like i did. I bought fibreglass cloth from Canadian Tire (39 inches wide) and joined them on the keel line. The price was 4.99 Canadian per meter. It came on a roll and you just bought how much you needed. It was a cheaper way to do things. :?:
Building a 15foot Prospector Ranger right now
Rod Tait

varnish

Post by Rod Tait »

my guess would be the humdity also or the surface was not cleaned well before putting on the third coat.

As for scrounging, I don't really see the savings, since one can buy 60 inch, 6 oz cloth for around $9 Can per yd with no seam at keel line.
ealger

Bubbles in Varnish

Post by ealger »

Bubbles in varnish coats can occur if the varnish is stirred before use. If it must be stirred, do it gently as to avoid introducing air into the varnish.
Ed Alger