Sazanami ready for launching

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Glen Smith

Sazanami ready for launching

Post by Glen Smith »

My 12 foot canoe is ready for launching! I installed the first strips on April 11th and today (June 4th) I installed the seats and thwart. It tips the scales at 29 pounds (13.2kg). I designed it myself using Ross Leidy's "Kayak Foundry" software and the lines were inspired by the "Chemaunis" from Carrying Place Canoe Works. The hull is 3/16" thick Eastern White Cedar, the inner stems are white cedar, the outer stems and keel are Ash, the accent stripes are Basswood and dark brown WRC, the gunwales are Cherry, the seats and thwart are Ash, the decks are Walnut. I copied John Caldeira's accent stripe design, thanks John. There is one layer of 4 ounce cloth inside and outside. I used West 105/207 inside and I used Citadel 14-02 & 14-08 outside. The varnish is Varathane water-based Urethane. I applied 6 coats of satin on the inside, 9 coats of gloss on the gunwales and decks and 8 coats of gloss on the outer hull. I will have to get it outside for some better pictures but for now you can look at these ones: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... anoe%2012/, the latest pics are on page 3.

Larebow

Post by Larebow »

Beautiful :applause
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Wow Glen, She looks awesome! You made a quick job of it and it's clear you didn't cut any quality corners either. Fantastic!

get it wet!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Top Notch job Glen!!!
A real eye catcher!!
Let us know how she handles, when the time comes for the launching!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Looks great! Eight coats of varnish! Holy Cow.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Wow, when an artist meets a craftsman.
Outstanding.

All the best,
Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will probably use this canoe on a fishing trip in about 10 days so it should get a good test then.

The varnish used is very thin and it takes at least 6 coats before any gloss starts to appear but you can apply 3 or 4 coats in one day so it isn't too bad. It does make for a lot of sanding though!

I will be bringing this canoe to the Rendezvous so anyone who wants to see it or paddle it, come along.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Beautiful job. :applause

10 days until you go fishing!

You could almost build another one. :wink
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Actually, I do have another one to build but that's another story. I hauled the canoe out today so I could take a few pictures in natural lighting. They can be viewed here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... 20Outside/

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

looks Great! It's like the snow was never there....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

As always Glen, truly First Class workmanship. Hats off to you!
Congratulations.
:applause

Mark
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Randy, what makes you think the snow is all gone? Actually there is a pile of it in the field behind the house. They are currently building houses there and in early Spring a bulldozer pushed all the snow into one huge pile. The brown crud on it is protecting it from the heat of the sun and the pile is still about 5 feet high.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks Mark, this wasn't really an easy project since I built from my own plans and the majority of the cedar I used was from a pile of "rejects" that almost ended up as kindling. It took less than 7 weeks to build it but I spent many long hours on the design phase.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Glen,

The Boatmaster has once again produced a fine piece of work! Your project turned out VERY spectacular! Congratulations on another job well done. You will have to let us know how she paddles (and how the fishing was). Keep us posted!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Glen,
Fantastic looking canoe! And I really admire your speed.

Your photos give me many ideas for future projects. I especially like the look of the light colored Eastern white cedar and the grain patterns in the walnut decks. Wonderful contrasts.

Given my difficulties with varnish, I am really curious about the Varathane water-based Urethane that you used. How does the application compare with Epifanes? Particularly, the leveling characteristics (and bubbles, or lack thereof). I have applied water based urethane to hardwood floors, and have been very pleased with the hardness and durability. How much experience is there with water-based urethane in marine applications?

Also, what is the origin or the name "Sazanami"?

Jeff