walnut seats and thwarth

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik, Belgium

walnut seats and thwarth

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I want to make the gunnels and things from walnut. Walnut is not rot really rotfree, but it 's doing ok in my paddles !

I plan to make the seats and thwarth out of several thin layers of walnut , glued with epoxy. Is that a good idea ? Or won't it work ?
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

Hi Eric, walnut should make nice looking seats & gunwales. I've never done those applications with walnut but I would assume it is OK. Why the thin pieces glued together? Are you planning some fancy curves in the seat construction?
Jack in Stoughton
Yann Dubois

Post by Yann Dubois »

I came across this page of a cedar canoe being fitted with walnut gunwales and stems, complemented with cherry decks and yoke. To me, the choice in wood complement each other very nicely:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/lwest/www/Bob ... index.html
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

As I was pulling out of the Boundary Waters on my latest trip, I ran into a guy who had just finished building a Boundary Water's Cruiser and had finished it with walnut yoke, seat, and thwarts. He had purchased the seats.
I used walnut seat drops in my Look-Alike. I think that the walnut looks great in contrast to the cedar.