Insurance

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mikestenger

Insurance

Post by mikestenger »

Since I am close to launch day, I called our homeowner's insurance carrier to ask about coverage for the canoe. Mainly thinking about theft. This is a great company and I have had wonderful dealings with them for over 40 years.

They could not find a way to insure the boat other than the coverage I already have which is liability up to the limit of our policy and $1000 on the boat.

I searched the archives for help but there wasn't anything I could find that was helpful.

There must be a way to do this. I don't have a clue how much the boat is worth but I suspect getting someone else to make one for me would be steep!
15' Bob's Special...Boat completed in late October 2007.
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

There were recent posts on this topic about 1-2 months ago. If you are not satisfied with the blanket coverage on your homeowners policy, take out a separate boat owner policy on the canoe. This would provide selected amount of property and liability insurance. Since you already have liability insurance on the canoe through your homeowners, I would look for a property insurance only boat owners policy. You may have to go to a different carrier if your agent cannot find a polcy for a watercraft.

Try Drive Insurance, they insure boats, RV's etc.