blotches on wood

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

blotches on wood

Post by sluggo »

Hi there,

I wet the hull this morning to raise the grain and I noticed maybe a dozen spots where the wood was blotching and lighter in color. My guess is that there is glue residue on these spots, which doesn't let the wood get wet and darken. Any other ideas on what it is from?

thanks
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I can't make out much in the picture but white blotches on wood is normally caused by glue residue that hasn't been removed. You could try scraping then sanding with 80 grit and 120 grit but don't just work on those spots with the sander or you will create an unfair surface.
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

No doubt about it, that is glue residue. I'm guessing from your past posts that your first sanding was with 60 grit. From the amount of obvious residue shown in your photos and the haze residue (much more subtle) I would suggest another complete, light sanding with the 60 grit. Are you using a nice soft pad along with an interface pad? I like the extra soft pad with an additional interface pad, 60 grit paper and fairly low speeds to scour the glue residue off. It seems that when the glue is gone the hull is well rounded and if stripped fair will remain fair. Keep at it as that residue really looks ugly under glass!

Good luck,

Larry
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Thanks guys.

Where do you get a soft interface pad? I've seen one on the Newfound woodworks website, that's the only one I've seen

cheers
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

I got my interface pad and backing pads from TOOLBARN.COM.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/743022-A/

Even though my sander is a Bosch, the Makita pad works on any 5", 8 hole hook and loop sander backing pad.