1678 on the inside

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Larry in Champaign

1678 on the inside

Post by Larry in Champaign »

I completed the much dreaded inside glassing this weekend. With over 3" of recurve tumblehome on my canoe, this job scared me to death. The 1678 fabric worked well; however, it took me longer to lay and smooth out the two overlapping interior layers than it did the four layers I used on the exterior. Between the concave form and fitting around the stems it is a real pain smoothing the cloth on the inside. I used a 3" foam roller for wet out and it worked great! I only had about 8 oz. of grunge after squeegeeing. I wish now I'd tried this when I did the exterior. I still needed a fiberglass roller for busting the bubbles under this satin weave fabric. The wet out went off without a hitch - no wrinkles. We'll see how this fabric holds up, but as far as layup goes, it works like a charm.
Fabric formed to hull.
Wet out just completed.

Larry
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Hey Larry, it's looking good.

What do you do with the fiberglass roller when you were finished, just soak it in a tray of solvent? Did it need a cleaning mid-way through the glassing?

cheers!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Nice job Larry!
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

For cleanup, I use white vinegar. The T-88 epoxy I use for glueing specifically recommends this for cleanup. It also works like a charm on US Composites epoxy. I believe the acid neutralizes the base epoxy. I only cleanup when I am done, but then again, I use a slow hardener. As long as the epoxy hasn't cured, the vinegar will kill it.

As a side note, I gave the interior a second coat of epoxy and called it quits. I rolled on a thin coat and tipped it off using only 18oz. of epoxy. The wet out of the two interior layers took 60oz. with a few ounces left in the roller tray and about 8 oz. of grunge. This is on a 17' x 31-1/4" canoe.

Larry